Audio Technica Models at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 12th, 2005, 04:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Technica Models

I've been running around the internet trying to find a source of information on the following, but have found nothing.

I would like to know if the Audio Technica AT4073 hypercardioid shotgun mic is the same as the AT4900a-48 (electronics/body component) and AT4053a-EL (hypercardioid element) combined.

The latter is a modular set-up where you can change the capsules for different pickup patterns (omni, cardioid, hyper-), and is the option I would prefer - interchangeable cardioid and hypercardioid as opposed to the fixed (can you confirm this?!) AT4073.

If it is not the same microphone, is the AT4073 superior? I would consider paying extra for a dedicated hypercardioid.
Jon Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 08:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Turner
I've been running around the internet trying to find a source of information on the following, but have found nothing.

I would like to know if the Audio Technica AT4073 hypercardioid shotgun mic is the same as the AT4900a-48 (electronics/body component) and AT4053a-EL (hypercardioid element) combined.

The latter is a modular set-up where you can change the capsules for different pickup patterns (omni, cardioid, hyper-), and is the option I would prefer - interchangeable cardioid and hypercardioid as opposed to the fixed (can you confirm this?!) AT4073.

If it is not the same microphone, is the AT4073 superior? I would consider paying extra for a dedicated hypercardioid.
Though interchangable capsules sounds like a good idea, any time you add an extra connection, you risk having a bad connection. I'd go the route of getting the dedicated mic.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Jon,
I've got a 4073a and a couple of 4053a's and they are definitely not the same. The 4073a is a true short shotgun with a longer reach and narrower pickup than the 4053a. It's a little hotter as well also sounds more like a shotgun on interiors and therefore not as good as the 4053a, which is a real hyper. I've got a 4051a capsule as well. I like the modular setup and have come to really like and depend upon both the 4071a and the 4053a. In the right interior space, they cut together well, but they do sound different. If you had to buy only one, I would get the 4073a since you can use it outdoors as a shotgun and it really sounds great and you can use it indoors in the right conditions and it will sound very good. That being said, I started that way and am very pleased that I also got the 4053a because it sounds better in small interiors, which I'm doing a lot of. I bought a pair because they are also great for stereo recording as well. Oh yeah, if you are looking for the 4053a, I saw some B-stock somewhere on the web for around $300, which I think is a killer deal.
Hope that helps.
Matt
Old August 14th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #4
Trustee

In what interior conditions does the 4073 work out
okay?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #5
Major Player

I think it works well in low echo rooms with lots of carpet and sound absorbing material. Like all shotguns, it isn't good in rooms with a lot of reflective surfaces, or very small rooms due to the echo. I've achieved good results in open living rooms or family room-type settings with carpted floors. Getting the mic within a foot or two of the source makes a big difference as well. Of course, if you can get it that close, a hyper probably still sounds a little better.
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent
In what interior conditions does the 4073 work out
okay?
On a properly treated sound stage or damped acoustic environment. In most interiors, shotguns are a bad choice.

Look in the video folder on my online archives for the 20MB tutorial .mp4 video about mic choices. enjoy.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #7
Major Player

man, the schoeps sounds good.

thanks for the video ty.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

4073A & 4051a

I agree with the positive comments about the 4073a. I have had great results using the 4073a on a pole for interiors unless they are enclosed areas or small rooms. You will get echo or hollow sounding audio with the 4073a and medium shotguns in enclosed areas. I use the 4051a in these situations. You have to work it closer in about 2 feet and watch that it doesn't get in the frame. It is a small mike. The 4051a is a great 2 person dialogue mike to avoid echo. The 4051a was used to record the 2 person dialogue shots in the X Files series.

Last edited by Jeff Milligan; August 17th, 2005 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Add more information
Jeff Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Milligan
The 4051a was used to record the 2 person dialogue shots in the X Files series.
Wonder why they used the 4051 cardioid instead of
the 4053 hypercardioid?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:11 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Cho
man, the schoeps sounds good.

thanks for the video ty.

No Prob, Henry. And in one part of that video, I got the Schoeps a little too close and was pushing the record level a bit too hard. There were a few mini splats due to the fact that I was concentrating more on what I was saying than twiddling the knobs on the mixer.

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio