Sennheiser EW100-ENG G3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:02 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Sennheiser EW100-ENG G3

I've experienced noise when in proximity to either another set of wireless mikes operating on a similar but different frequency, and from cell phones, particularly Blackberries, which send out a periodic signal, apparently, whenever they are powered up. Note that the US frequencies that have been used by the G2 units, largely in the now-reassigned analog tv bands, are now assigned to public service, wireless providers and others. The C band units in the 700-and-up mhz band are now illegal to use as these frequencies are all reassigned to other uses. You might check out the open freqs in your area (in the US, anyway) at Find Available Frequencies
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:30 AM   #17
Major Player

I've said it before and I'm sayin' it again...

Yes, you should always scan for activity before you ever turn on the transmitter. But you should also compare the scan results against websites like antennaweb.org or Sennheiser's frequency finder site. Analog units like the Sennheiser are not always able to sense a digital broadcast on a frequency and may report it as available. Of course using the "open" channel will probably result in poor reception, so do your homework first and avoid channels used by DTV.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:38 AM   #18
Major Player

Jack was talking about the 700mhz range, here is a website to check if your receiver is on the list and some G2 systems are. I believe the 700mhz range has been given to emergency services in the U.S. Obviously these transmitters are powerful and high up, also, more and more cities are moving to it.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicro...tml#Sennheiser

Last edited by Don Parrish; March 2nd, 2011 at 09:09 AM.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:01 AM   #19
Trustee

Also remember the "700 Mhz band" actually goes from 698 to 806 Mhz. I had a couple of good mics on these upper and lower ends that I had originally thought would still be ok but of course had to be replaced.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:57 PM   #20
Regular Crew

A little late to this thread but one good thing I noticed about the G3 is you can actually set sensitivity all the way to -60db. which is great because actual mic level is at or about -50db. I own the G2's as well and I'm shocked that you can only set to -30db?
On another note and others could verify. If you buy a B frequency G2 and a B frequency G3 they aren't totally the same frequencies. I wanted to have to B units to share the same receiver in certain situations and the frequencies aren't identical.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:13 PM   #21
Major Player

You can have 1 transmitter go to 2 receivers, but not 2 transmitters going to 1 receiver.
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Yes, thanks Chad, that's correct provided you have the same frequencies. I guess what I was eluding to was that a B frequency from a G2 system can be different from a B frequency on a G3 system. At least that's the way it is for me.
Thanks,
Al
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:25 PM   #23
Major Player

Are you sure it's not just the presets that are different? You may be able to dial in the same freq by hand. Check it out.
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I just took a look and you are right, they are pretty much the same.

The G2 B set reads 626-662
The G3 set reads 626-668

Not identical, but not enough to say they're different
Thanks,
Al
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:13 AM   #25
Major Player

G1, G2 and G3 systems are all compatible with each other as long as you choose the same version and use the frequency window from the earliest - the window got wider as they went on - G1 = 24MHz, G2 = 36MHz, G3 = 42MHz.

Oh - and if you use a G1 transmitter with a G2 or G3 receiver you have to switch Pilot "off" on the receiver.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio