DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Is it Possible K6 Power Module use for non-sennheiser K-6 Series Microphones? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/492704-possible-k6-power-module-use-non-sennheiser-k-6-series-microphones.html)

Hirata Tomoki March 5th, 2011 11:32 PM

Is it Possible K6 Power Module use for non-sennheiser K-6 Series Microphones?

Hi, I using Rode NTG-3 Microphone now, I want to find 48v phantom power supply Module for this mic, because I want to use outdoor and connect it to wireless transmitter, the transmitter do not have any phantom power provide. I know there are some power supply in BOX type, but I want a smaller one.
I found sennheiser has a product call K6 Power Module, is this Power Module possible use for non-sennheiser K-6 Series Microphones?

Thanks

Steve House March 6th, 2011 01:23 AM

Re: Is it Possible K6 Power Module use for non-sennheiser K-6 Series Microphones?

No, absolutely not. The K6 power module does NOT PROVIDE phantom power, it TAKES phantom power. The K6 plus a head containing the mic capsule makes up a complete mic; it is not a stand-alone device.

I assume you have a Sennheiser G2 or G3 wireless setup. Sennheiser does make a plug-on wireless transmitter that can provide phantom power, the SKP-2000. Sennheiser Worldwide - SKP 2000

Brian Luce March 6th, 2011 02:58 AM

Re: Is it Possible K6 Power Module use for non-sennheiser K-6 Series Microphones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 1625064)
No, absolutely not. The K6 power module does NOT PROVIDE phantom power, it TAKES phantom power. The K6 plus a head containing the mic capsule makes up a complete mic; it is not a stand-alone device.
[/url]

Then what is the battery for? I use that mic on cameras that don't have phantom power and it works.

Hirata Tomoki March 6th, 2011 05:26 AM

Thank you Steve, I am not using Sennheiser G2 or G3 wireless transmitter, I am using Sony WRR, WRT series wireless system. So do you know any other plug-on style 48V Power Module in the market?

PS. Sony WRT also has a plug-on wireless transmitter, now I using a old model WRT-808, no phantom power provide. SONY has a new model WRT-8P transmitter and can provide 48V, but it sell around US$1,000.

Steve House March 6th, 2011 10:47 AM

The problem is that various manufacturers' wireless transmitters are generally not compatible with receivers made by other manufacturers. So I'm afraid you're stuck with getting the Sony plug-on transmitter if you go that way. But what exactly is the setup you're trying to achieve? Are you thinking of putting the shotgun on a boom with a wireless hop back to the camera? Do you have the Sony body-pack transmitter?

Hirata Tomoki March 6th, 2011 11:21 AM

I have both body-pack transmitter and plug-on tape transmitter, I just want to use Rode mic with boom mic Pole, and I do not want it connect with long cable.

Steve House March 7th, 2011 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1625094)
Then what is the battery for? I use that mic on cameras that don't have phantom power and it works.

His wasn't asking whether a K6 mic like the ME66 could be used without a source of phantom. He was asking whether a K6 amplifier/power module could plug onto the back of another manufacturer's mic such as the Rode NTG-3 and liberate it from needing phantom power. It won't.

Steve House March 7th, 2011 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirata Tomoki (Post 1625165)
I have both body-pack transmitter and plug-on tape transmitter, I just want to use Rode mic with boom mic Pole, and I do not want it connect with long cable.

Why not get a preamplifier that supplys phantom, such as the Sound Devices MM-1, and have your boom operator wear it on his belt? After all, he needs to wear headphones to do his job properly anyway: a plug-on transmitter won't fill that requirement but a belt-worn preamp that incorporates a headphone amplifier does. Then feed the preamplifier into your existing body-pack transmitter, also worn on the boom op's belt.

Hirata Tomoki March 7th, 2011 05:24 AM

I think "NTG-3 > Power Module > transmitter .....air...... receiver > Camera" is not possible in this time. Just like you say: " NTG-3 > 2m cable > MM-1> transmitter .....air...... receiver > Camera", this is the best way for me.

It's OK! At least I can Separate the Boom mic from the camera.

Thanks, Steve

Greg Bellotte March 7th, 2011 08:39 AM

The MM-1 is a great solution. It will power the mic and more importantly give the boom operator a headphone feed so he can hear if he is picking up good sound. To boom without headphones is pointless in my opinion, it would be like operating a camera without a viewfinder...