DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Don't make my mistake with Sennheisers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/492915-dont-make-my-mistake-sennheisers.html)

Bob Prichard March 10th, 2011 09:30 AM

Don't make my mistake with Sennheisers

I finally got tired of running illlegal wireless, so I ordered the new Sennheiser G3 system. I like them better than the old Sennheisers because they are lighter and smaller. The illuminated screen is also easier to read.

But I made the mistake of ordering them with the ME 4 mic. Its a terrible mic. The cable is very stiff and really picks up friction noise from rubbing clothes, or just moving around. Plus, the mic does not sound good to me, it is really big for a lav mic, and comes with a big, ugly, plastic shirt clip.

So I replaced it with the ME 2, which has a much more flexible cable, doesn't pick up shirt noise, is smaller, has a thinner, smaller metal shirt clip and sounds much better better.

So, if you order this system, make sure to get it with the ME 2.

Rick Reineke March 10th, 2011 12:46 PM

Re: Don't make my mistake with Sennheisers

The ME4 is a cardioid Lav and generally not recommenced for ENG type work.... That said,.. I had the misfortune of using one on an conference gig. (client supplied mics and PA. The ME4's clip is a f__ing joke, it regularly fell off the wearer, til I switched to a Tram I had brought along. I'd rather fight possible feedback than having the mic swinging around the wearer's knees. Polar patterns aside, the ME2 is a better designed mic.
However it ain't great either compared to the higher-end mics like the new Rode, Sanken Tram, Countryman, ect.

Benjamin Maas March 10th, 2011 03:02 PM

And if you want to go a step up from the Sennheiser ME2, get yourself a DPA 4061 or even a Sanken COS-11. Both of them are huge steps up from the Sennheiser. The Countryman offerings are more of a lateral step- in some ways better, some ways worse. You will have a hard time finding a smaller mic than the Countryman B6... I think the DPA sounds better, but the B6 is amazingly small if that is an issue for you.

--Ben

Zoran Vincic March 10th, 2011 03:49 PM

I recently started using AKG CK77 with my G3 system and I must say that I'm very pleased, the difference between ME2 and CK77 is astounding.

And CK77 besides being water resistant (not proof) and sounding very open and natural has two diaphragms and one of them is out of phase with the other (balanced audio works on the same principal for rejecting electrical noise) so the mic picks up VERY LITTLE cable/handling noise.

And it's really small

All in all, it's a great mic for a fair price (on par with cos-11)

John Willett March 11th, 2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Prichard (Post 1626556)
I finally got tired of running illlegal wireless, so I ordered the new Sennheiser G3 system. I like them better than the old Sennheisers because they are lighter and smaller. The illuminated screen is also easier to read.

But I made the mistake of ordering them with the ME 4 mic. Its a terrible mic. The cable is very stiff and really picks up friction noise from rubbing clothes, or just moving around. Plus, the mic does not sound good to me, it is really big for a lav mic, and comes with a big, ugly, plastic shirt clip.

So I replaced it with the ME 2, which has a much more flexible cable, doesn't pick up shirt noise, is smaller, has a thinner, smaller metal shirt clip and sounds much better better.

So, if you order this system, make sure to get it with the ME 2.

The cable shouldn't make a noise if you put the mic. on properly - unfortunately, lots of people don't know how to to put a tie mic on properly and you certainly get no friction from clothes if you put the mic. on properly.

Although, having said that, cardioid tie mics are horrible things and really have no more feedback rejection than a properly put on omni.

The upgrade is the Sennheiser MKE 2-ew microphone which comes with the more expensive G3 systems.

Don Litten March 11th, 2011 12:36 PM

John, I'd like to invite you to start a new thread with proper Lav wearing 101.

I have trouble with Lavs, especially hidden Lav's and I'm not shy about taking advice.

Greg Bellotte March 11th, 2011 10:06 PM

the clip that comes with the MKE2EWgold kit (MZA222) makes the broadcast loop for you, no more cable noise....not to mention it's my favorite lav anyway.

the ME2 would make a nice toy for a cat i think...

Colin McDonald March 12th, 2011 05:16 AM

I'll second the MKE -2 ew gold as an upgrade lav. The difference it makes even to the G2 kit's sound is striking.

John Willett March 12th, 2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Litten (Post 1626991)
John, I'd like to invite you to start a new thread with proper Lav wearing 101.

I have trouble with Lavs, especially hidden Lav's and I'm not shy about taking advice.

Done - here it is.