How to use a Tie Microphone (Lav) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: How to use a Tie Microphone (Lav)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Balla View Post
INstead of those Rycote stickies, I get moleskin at the drug store and cut it into strips. It holds well, helps prevent clothing noise, and actors love it because it doesn't hurt their skin. I had one actor tell me about a sound guy who used gaffer tape to stick on his lav...That's just kind of mean! Down side with the moleskin was the time I had to lav an actor who liked to use ALOT of lotion on his chest for some reason. Moleskin didn't stick so good on that mess! I took to carrying those little alcohol wipes to clean the lotion off before I taped the lav on.

The Rycote stickes are hypo-allergenic and are very skin friendly (they were well tested) - also, they are pre-cut to size and are very quick to use.
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #17
Major Player

I came across this video from Countryman on how to route the wires through their B2D lav clip:

YouTube - ‪Using the Isolation Clip‬‏

They adocate the original poster's approach. Someone has got to make a lav clip that has a dedicated groove or slot for routing the wire around the back, without needing to clip it with the clothes.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I

If the mic. is pointing down, it's a single loop rather than a doublke loop - but the effect is the same.

I hope this helps.
I notice that the newscasters on the BBC all have their mikes pointing down, I have never worked out why, is there a reasons or advantage for doing it this way?
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
I notice that the newscasters on the BBC all have their mikes pointing down, I have never worked out why, is there a reasons or advantage for doing it this way?
See answer #7 in this thread.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 02:12 AM   #20
Trustee

Thanks Greg, I missed that one.

However, the answer does seem far fetched, unless the presenter is a cross between an Anteater and an Elephant.

"You on occasions may see a lav mic "upside down" on a news reader or presenter, this is done to eliminate the wind noise of downward breathing through the nose. Being an Omni mic it works well"

:-)
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:53 AM   #21
Trustee

Try holding your fingers against your tie, where a mic would be located. Exhale sharply. Tilt your head down slightly, as if you were looking down at some copy located on the desk in front of you.

Then consider that a mic is much more sensitive than your fingers.

Better safe than sorry.
Old May 21st, 2011, 09:30 AM   #22
Trustee

Just tried that, maybe my nose is not that big. In order to create any downwind I would have to look at my toes, then the camera would be looking at the top of the talents head.

Maybe I will just have to try recording with the mike in both positions and let you know or even hear the results.
Old May 21st, 2011, 01:59 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver
maybe my nose is not that big
Size matters.

I also feel a little air movement if I produce a particularly powerful plosive. I wouldn't be surprised if this differs from person to person.

Downward-facing might also protect against coffee spills. ;)
Old May 27th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #24
New Boot

All these tips are brilliant, i'm thinking of using a couple tie mics for a small upcoming interview, but i'm a complete rookie, what would be the best way of recording multiple tie mics? The only idea i have in mind is hooking each interviewee up and somehow collaborate and recorde them all and syncing them in post. But i'm still lost as to how i'd do that.
Karl Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #25
Trustee

First, use hardwired connections if possible. Wireless can never sound better than a proper wired connection, and might introduce a lot of problems.

Second, if possible use a recorder with a separate track for each person. That's easy with two people (a stereo recorder) but a lot more cumbersome with a dozen at once. By using a separate recorder, the audio tracks will stay locked to one another, so editing will be a lot easier.

Third, pay attention to acoustics of the room; be sure it's quiet to begin with, and if there's too much reverberation of echo, use carpet, moving blankets, or a combination of tricks to make the room sufficiently "dead." Once you have reverberation in your track(s) it's nearly impossible to remove.

Fourth, pay attention to recording levels. When setting levels, get each person to speak as loudly as he is likely to speak during the interview (not the average expected level, the loudest level). Set the gain so that sound level produces a recording level that's -6dB FS, or lower. Then monitor levels while recording, and if they start to creep up, turn down the gain. You want to be sure your recorded level NEVER reaches 0dB FS. (You can make relative level adjustments in post, but if your level goes too high and you end up with digital clipping, that part of your track is effectively useless.)

There are many variations on the procedure to sync up, depending on what particular equipment you use throughout the process. I'll let someone else tackle that aspect...
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio