Decent Wireless Mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 12th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Decent Wireless Mics

I was just wondering what my options are on good Wireless mic systems for under 200? I am looking for something that connects with 1/8 jack (since my camera doesn't have xlr) I have found some Sony's for $100 on ebay new. Are they worth anything?
Tyson Yoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Decent Wireless Mics

Tyson, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but good and $200 don't really go together.

Now having said that, by doing some good hard shopping on the big auction site that starts with E you might find something good for about double that. The ones that you found for $100 might not work, might be VHF, might be in the 700mhz range which is not legal in the US anymore so be very very careful before you buy.
Sennheiser, Sony, Audio Technica are all good brands but even used will be more than your budget. For that you might think about using stand alone recorders such as Zoom.
I'm sorry about being negative about this but audio is something you can not "cheap out" onespecially for weddings since audio is 70% of what you see. Greatest footage around with bad audio is suspect by the clients. Average footage with really good audio is looked at by clients as awesome. Audio gear should last you thru many many years and cameras. Perhaps you can rent to start with until your budget is enough to invest in a quality, long term system.
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

OK I just searched thru Ebay for Sony Wireless mics. Here's what I found.
There is a set for about 160 that's in the 900mhz range. Could be a problem because there are a lot of other electronics in that freq range.
I also found a few sets for around the 100 mark but the are old VHF units. Not exactly the best usints out there.
I also found a number of newer UHF units that start in the 400 to 500 and up range.
Mind you I only looked at the first of 4 pages, there might be some other units there but again be careful.
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Some people have had decent results with these. I've seen demos on YouTube. These are NOT considered professional equipment and are the VHF models.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68058-REG/Audio_Technica_W88_57_829_W88_13_829_Camera_Mountable_VHF.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3656-REG/Azden_WLX_PRO_WLX_Pro_Wireless_Lavalier.html
Tom Dickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

On a budget, a wire or hidden recorder are better than a cheap wireless system.

If feet aren't shown and the actor isn't moving much, wrangling an XLR cable may be the way to go. If the actor needs more freedom of movement, you can mount a small flash recorder where you would normally mount the transmitter. Of course, you can't monitor for levels and problems while shooting, so make sure to set the levels conservatively just prior to shooting and review the recordings before striking the setup.

Okay, wrangling a cable or recording without a monitor or live mix control aren't what the top pros do, but I'd rather take these steps than guarantee poor sound with a low-end wireless system. Poor wireless systems have noise, poor frequency response, and poor dynamic range. The sound is dull and lifeless at its best and is intermittent or non-functional at its worst.

I've gor a Shure SLX system at work. It's so-so for live usage and not adequate for filmmaking, IMHO. And it's UHF. We use it as more of a high-end, clip-on, always-on walkie-talkie as we have both a transmitter and wireless monitor.
Old March 12th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks for your help! I know that you pay for what you get in mics. The sound recorders, and suggestions on these for under $200.
Tyson Yoder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio