DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   AT 899 with a G3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/493170-899-g3.html)

Kevin Walsh March 16th, 2011 08:45 AM

AT 899 with a G3

Can the Audio Technica 899 lav be made to work with Sennheiser G3 body pack? If it is possible, I assume this will be an improvement over the stock ME 2 that came with the system.
Again assuming this is possible, does anyone know a source for the Sennheiser locking connector, or maybe someone who could do the soldering for me. My soldering can be a little ham fisted.

Jay Massengill March 16th, 2011 09:01 AM

Re: AT 899 with a G3

Since AT already makes versions of the AT899 with connectors for many popular wireless systems EXCEPT the mini-plug Sennheisers, my guess is you'd need something more than just the connector. Otherwise they would have done it already.
Adding or using a full-sized adapter that had a battery and/or electronics in it would certainly cut down on the utility of such a combo versus a lav mic that could simply plug in.
You could call AT and ask if they've created something recently and their web info doesn't include a mini-plug Sennheiser model. They do make a LEMO connector version for the Sennheiser SK line of transmitters, but they are a totally different animal.

Kevin Walsh March 16th, 2011 09:35 AM

Thanks Jay, I called AT and they affirmed everything you wrote.

Battle Vaughan March 16th, 2011 10:08 AM

If you have not already purchased a replacement mike, you might like the Tram TR50, which is available in Sennheiser configuration. Excellent replacement for the stock mike.

Rick Reineke March 16th, 2011 10:46 AM

Source for 3.5 locking plugs ($4.50 USD). Part #: M-3.5S LOCKING

Markertek - Audio and Video Equipment - Professional Broadcast Studio Equipment

As I recall examining an AT-899 with a TA-5 connector for a Lectro, it's a 3-wire mic. For a Sennheiser 3.5 plug configuration it may need a capacitor, diode, and/or resistors to operate efficiently.

Markertek also makes custom cables and carries specialty cables for DSLRs.

Jon Fairhurst March 16th, 2011 10:55 AM

The Tram is nice in that it is flat and has lots of mounting options. A Sanken COS-11D is more similar to the AT899, which is a small cylinder design. Personally, I much prefer the Sanken sound. I haven't looked at the numbers, but the Sanken sounds slightly scooped with a 1kHz emphasis for clear consonants. The Tram has more of a midrange, SM57 kind of sound to me.

When exposed, the Sanken can be slightly bright, and when under clothes, it's a bit dull. I find that to be a nice compromise that can easily be adjusted with EQ. In general (not just with the Sanken), I add or remove gain around 2.4 kHz to increase character or reduce nasal sounds. A shelf above 4.8 kHz adds or removes breath and "air".

Kevin Walsh March 16th, 2011 01:00 PM

I guess I'll have to buy something. I have 6 AT899's left over from my legal video business and was hoping to use one and save some cash.

I noticed that B&H sells the Tram, Sanken a few of Countrymans, and a VT500 all with the Sennheiser locking plug. The Tram looks like the mic that came with my Lectrosonics 100 series, and I really like the sound of it. Is it the same mic?

I also have a Countryman B6 that is terminated with a XLR connecter. I might consider re-terminating for the G3, but I remember someone telling me that the sensitivity on this mic is different then the sensitivity of the B6's that are used for wireless systems. Is this true?

The guy at Audio Technica couldn't remember why they didn't make a Sennheiser G2/G3 compatible AT899. He just remembered that they wouldn't work together.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Rick Reineke March 17th, 2011 08:39 AM

"The Tram looks like the mic that came with my Lectrosonics 100 series, and I really like the sound of it. Is it the same mic?

-- It's probably a Lectrosonics M150 or M152, which has a recessed element port and is slightly larger but flatter than the Tram, The 150/2 & the M119 were included with many Lectro systems. The earlier model M119 was a cylindrical 'end fire' type and about the size of a ECM-44. The Lectro M150/2 are rumored to be made by VT.

"I also have a Countryman B6 that is terminated with a XLR connector. I might consider re-terminating for the G3, but I remember someone telling me that the sensitivity on this mic is different then the sensitivity of the B6's that are used for wireless systems. Is this true?"

-- Both the B3 & B6 were/are available in three sensitivity levels. I think the gray band is 'standard'. (highest output)
See the Countryman website for details.

Jay Massengill March 17th, 2011 10:42 AM

You could always sell a couple of your AT899's to pay for a new lav. You'd still have 4 left for future projects.

Kevin Walsh March 18th, 2011 09:51 AM

Jay, you're right. They are posted in the marketplace.