mic with small dent at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 16th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Inner Circle

mic with small dent

I'm looking at buying a used (pre-owned) Rode NT5 mic that has a small dent on the capsule. Can that affect the accoustic performance? Should I walk?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: mic with small dent

Can you try it out?

I'm inclined to worry about any impact that could have caused a dent, particularly on the capsule. but if it's really small and the mic sounds OK and is cheap enough I might be willing to take a chance.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Trustee

This is a purely theoretical answer, of course.

I'd be particularly concerned if you think you might get another NT5 later (or have another one now) and plan to use them as a stereo pair. The event that caused the dent might have caused some small, subtle change in the sound, which could be undetectable or inconsequential by itself. But if you try to use the dented mic as half of a stereo pair, any peculiarity could become more problematic.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
This is a purely theoretical answer, of course.

I'd be particularly concerned if you think you might get another NT5 later (or have another one now) and plan to use them as a stereo pair. The event that caused the dent might have caused some small, subtle change in the sound, which could be undetectable or inconsequential by itself. But if you try to use the dented mic as half of a stereo pair, any peculiarity could become more problematic.
Thanks guys, it's actually one of a matched set. Seller is ebay so can't test it. He said he closed the case on it.
Rode NT5 mic's x2 (used) - eBay (item 220754114168 end time Mar-16-11 16:30:43 PDT)
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Good point Greg.

The more I think about it the more I worry that the sound quality/pickup pattern etc might have been compromised - the enclosure has a huge effect on things like pickup pattern. So your comment re the possibility of the mic not adequately matching another one in stereo recording (even if it sounds fine on its own) is, I think right on.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Trustee

Ah, yes, Jim, I hadn't even considered the effect of the basket itself upon the sound.

Ya know, I just cannot picture how anyone manufactures those wire-grid baskets, or even the perforated sheet metal baskets... let alone how companies like RCA did such a beautiful job of it, 60 or more years ago. I would love to see the process (Ewe Toob, "Industry On Parade," wherever).
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Trustee

Is the dent on the machined part of the capsule or the wire mesh at the front opening?

It would take a substantial knock to dent the machined part of the capsule, but in practical terms if the shock didn't damage the actual internal capsule, I think you'd be hard pressed to hear any difference even in a stereo comparison.

Definitely test the mic and base your decision on the price and risk you're willing to take once you've heard the results.

My Long Story with NT5 Pair: I received a defective pair of NT5's from my dealer once. The bad news was the pair they sent me didn't match the serial number on the invoice!!! They finally figured it out, the shipping dept guy had boxed up and sent me a pair they already knew was defective and ready to return to Rode. I assume my intended pair got put in the Rode shipment and I received the bad ones instead.
Thankfully the dealer trusted me enough to check it out and make good on it.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill View Post
Is the dent on the machined part of the capsule or the wire mesh at the front opening?
It's not on the mesh, it's on the solid metal part. He said he closed the case on it. No way to test since it's ebay. He wants about $200 for the pair.
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I really don't like the look of it - it looks to me like it has pinched a couple of the ports almost closed and I think the porting is quite important for mic performance - depending on what kind of band one is recording though it might not even make any difference if the ports were welded shut:-)

I only do things like classical chamber music and concert bands so maybe I'm hypersensitive. For loud rock - might not matter. Bands might even like a little more distortion.

Maybe you could just replace the affected capsule. and still have a good deal.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio