A few negatives about the Tascam DR100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 12th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: A few negatives about the Tascam DR100

Do they do that mod on the DR100? Sounds pretty cool!
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #17
Major Player

Brian and Chad,
Thanks for the response. I had bought the juicedLink DT 454 to record sound directly to the clips so that I don't go through the hassle of sync etc. I must admit that my audio equipment purchases were based on tips that I had received in other forums, perhaps from interviews/concerts etc perspectives. So after buying I started mixing and matching and trying out these in the field.

I am based out of India and sending my Tascam to get it modified is a bit tough for me. I am actually planning to upgrade my recorder to the SD 7 series hoping that I won't need to add a mixer infront. It would be easier for me to handle one item.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #18
Major Player

With Sound Devices recorders you will have great quality. That is your best bet if you can afford it.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #19
Major Player

Re: SD 702 vs 702T vs SD 722

Chad,
The Sound Devices stuff are expensive. A couple of days back have invested in about 8k USD in fluid head and tripod. So budget is certainly tight. After buying the next challenge would be to extract the maximum amount of juice from these equipment.

Am planning to buy the Sound Devices 702. That is the cheapest of the lot at 1875 USD in B&H. The 702 T and 722 are priced at 2495 USD.

At the moment I wont use the Time code function (shooting with a DSLR without a TC). With the emergence of software like Plural eyes, I guess that wont be a major concern. Also, I read elsewhere in this forum that the new FCP X will automatically sync your audio on import. Not sure. However, when budget is tight :( no point in wasting money.

The 722 has a hard drive in addition to the facility to record in flash card. I guess at this point in my life, I can do away with the recording to hard drive. Also the 722 is about 200 gms heavier.

I read from Sound devices site: "The 702, 702T, 722, and 744T mic inputs have 114 dB of dynamic range, and the 788T microphone inputs have 123 dB of dynamic range. The figures on the 788T approach the theoretical limit of A-to-D performance."

So if there is no difference in dynamic range between the 702, 702T and 722 and I can do away with the TC feature and hard drive, then why not go for the 702 and save some 600 plus USD?

I hope the Sound Devices equipment retains its value/utility for a long time to come.

Am I logical in my arguments?

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old April 16th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
...Am planning to buy the Sound Devices 702. That is the cheapest of the lot at 1875 USD in B&H. The 702 T and 722 are priced at 2495 USD.

At the moment I wont use the Time code function (shooting with a DSLR without a TC). With the emergence of software like Plural eyes, I guess that wont be a major concern. Also, I read elsewhere in this forum that the new FCP X will automatically sync your audio on import. Not sure. However, when budget is tight :( no point in wasting money.

...So if there is no difference in dynamic range between the 702, 702T and 722 and I can do away with the TC feature and hard drive, then why not go for the 702 and save some 600 plus USD?

You might want to consider the 702T even if you don't use a timecode workflow at the moment. The SD recorders are long term investments and you might find yourself working with other cameras/workflows in the future.
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
You might want to consider the 702T even if you don't use a timecode workflow at the moment. The SD recorders are long term investments and you might find yourself working with other cameras/workflows in the future.
Thanks Steve!

I agree with you that in future the time code might be needed. I am sure that I would upgrade to a camera with interchangeable lenses some time in future. Will wait and watch for the story to unfold next year. Don't want to make a sub-optimal decision which may haunt me in the future. So I guess buying the 702T may be right, as you suggest.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #22
Major Player

Steve, Chad and others,

I am ordering the SD 702T. Are there any other accessories that one needs to order along with the SD 702T? How is the battery life? Is it advisable to order a spare battery? Any other accessories? Since I am based in India, I would like to order at one go. Suggestions highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #23
Major Player

I have no experience with that unit. You could go join the "Sound Devices forum" and get info from the guys who built it. Just google it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio