DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Setting up a Sennehiser G3... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/493220-setting-up-sennehiser-g3.html)

Jon Braeley March 17th, 2011 11:32 AM

Setting up a Sennehiser G3...

I have been using G2's for a few years and just bought the G3 so it may sound odd that I am looking for set up information.
When I set up the G2 - scanned and logged in frequencies I ended up with so many presets it was dizzying. Now on the G3 I see an easy set up in the menu ... worth doing this? I want minimum presets and I am inclined to just use this out of the box .... am I wrong?

Rick Reineke March 17th, 2011 01:21 PM

Re: Setting up a Sennehiser G3...

"Now on the G3 I see an easy set up in the menu ... worth doing this? I want minimum presets and I am inclined to just use this out of the box .... am I wrong?"

> Depending on your locations it may work just fine 'outta da box'. If and how long, is a crap shoot. One should always scan before shooting to minimize the chances of interference.
Search this forum for info on the G2, this topic has been discussed at length . Many of the set-up parameters and features would apply to the G3.

Jon Braeley March 17th, 2011 01:59 PM

Thanks and yes there are a lot of posts on the G2 but not about operation - except Guy Cochran's post and video.

Is scanning for every shoot best practice? The manual is useless on this. On my old G2's scanning for each shoot sent my settings into a tail spin and eventually I had to reset everything back to zero and start again. I guess with diversity the G3 is much better and only a few weeks of use will get me there.

Paul R Johnson March 17th, 2011 04:54 PM

Never, ever used the scan function - I've got the list of UK frequencies stuck on a flightcase, and I just turn on the receiver on it's last frequency, and on the rare occasions it shows a carrier, I just tune to the next one on the list - it's very rare to have to try very many before you find a quiet one. I know plenty of people always scan, but I've never seen never found it very useful.

Jon Braeley March 18th, 2011 06:45 AM

That is the argument I make - that when I used G2's, scanning frequently ended up not being worthwhile and I resorted to resetting quite often.

I see there a lot of presets on the G3 so I think I will refrain from scanning until I hit a problem. I just wonder if anyone used 'easy set up' on the G3 which is not on the G2's.

Paul Cronin March 21st, 2011 11:38 AM

Hi Jon,

I agree with Paul I do not scan. I have been using my G3's all over the country and I do just as Paul recommends. Turn it on and if I hear noise I search to there is no noise. Then do the same with my other set. I have never used easy setup I prefer to dial in my settings and keep it there. That way I just have to find a good frequency and am set to go. Make sure you have time if not the day before to check it out on location.

Dan Ostroff March 24th, 2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 1628822)
I have been using G2's for a few years and just bought the G3 so it may sound odd that I am looking for set up information.
When I set up the G2 - scanned and logged in frequencies I ended up with so many presets it was dizzying. Now on the G3 I see an easy set up in the menu ... worth doing this? I want minimum presets and I am inclined to just use this out of the box .... am I wrong?

This might be a helpful link: Sennheiser G3 Wireless System

Colin McDonald March 24th, 2011 04:48 PM

I'm with the Pauls.
Used the scan function once, the first time I used my G2 set. Since then, I have been able to use the same exempt frequency everywhere I need a radiomic, and have never had any interference from another set. Locations have included town and city centres, tourist attractions, amusement parks, airports, stations, trains, churches, public buildings and even (with permission) during a live broadcast at an event where there were zillions of RF channels in use. On that occasion, nobody else wanted the exempt frequencies. Same at a few news events I have covered. I'm quite happy to let others pay for their own wee bit of the spectrum. Would do so myself it I needed to, but it ain't happened yet.

Smartphones and up close to airport radar can be a problem though, and it doesn't seem to matter what you channel you are on.