DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   JuicedLink Preamp & Barcket DEMO - Chad Johnson (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/493487-juicedlink-preamp-barcket-demo-chad-johnson.html)

Chad Johnson March 23rd, 2011 12:49 PM

JuicedLink Preamp & Barcket DEMO - Chad Johnson

Here's a new video hot off the press. If you're into DSLR video you need to get the audio thing down. There are lots of audio solutions for video out there, but it seems that JL stuff is what I always recommend because it's clean and reasonably priced. This is a demo of a few JuicedLink products that can help get that audio captured cleanly. The DT454 and DS214 preamps, and a couple of brackets JL makes are featured here. Yes I made the jingle too just for the heck of it! I am working with a Canon T2i with magic lantern, and I am surprised at how good the audio quality is!

Jon Fairhurst March 23rd, 2011 02:43 PM

Re: JuicedLink Preamp & Barcket DEMO - Chad Johnson

Nicely done!

Now, "get away from me!" ...I hope you got her to sign a release form. ;)

Chad Johnson March 23rd, 2011 05:07 PM

Thanks Jon! I hope she doesn't sue...

Jon Fairhurst March 23rd, 2011 06:14 PM

Next time, film her after a meal - that you cooked for her. :)

BTW, that small bracket looks especially cool. With the JL and mic to the shooters left, it looks balanced and handy. It reminds me a bit of the "Man Rig" that Shane Hurlbut used on his 5D2 feature. It had two handles - one on the front left and another on the rear right. The operator could pull the two handles away from one another to add stability. It allowed full freedom of movement, unlike a shoulder rig which is always near eye height.

Chad Johnson March 23rd, 2011 06:26 PM

Yeah I really like that little DIY102B with the DS214 rig. It was lite and small, and I could even throw a light on the camera and go at it. And If I had someone being an on-cam talent they could take a hand held mic and Sennheiser Plug-on transmitter and go to town. When I get my actual DSLR (I borrowed the T2i in the vid) that's the way I'll set it up for general use. And with the camera strap on I'd have even more stability.

Gary Lee March 24th, 2011 05:36 AM

What type of xxxxing dinner was that she was cooking for you? lol

Chad Johnson March 24th, 2011 11:04 AM

LOL - That was a very delicious chicken/vegetable soup! And I ate every drop.

James Strange March 28th, 2011 08:37 PM

Thanks for the video, would you mind posting your recommended settings for the 454 and t2i ML firmware.
(ie what settings you set magic lantern to in this video)

Thanks again

James

Chad Johnson March 28th, 2011 09:01 PM

I can't say what is recommended. It depends on the situation. Just turn it up! But make sure the loudest thing that will happen won't clip. I May have had the T2i at 0 gain, possibly 10db analogue gain. Then I use the mixer to taste.

Jon Fairhurst March 28th, 2011 10:40 PM

On the 5D2, I use +10dB or +17dB analog gain, depending on my expected signal, and 0dB d-gain, left and right. Crank the JL up nearly all the way on high. Adjust to taste, depending on SPLs and mic sensitivity, but it's a good place to start.

James Strange March 29th, 2011 10:41 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll expereiment to see what suits, thanks for the starting off point.

James

Ben Denham March 31st, 2011 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1630963)
BTW, that small bracket looks especially cool. With the JL and mic to the shooters left, it looks balanced and handy.

Yes it looks like a great solution particularly for the lighter T2i and a reasonably light lens (Chad, seeing you throw that camera around in your vid made me think that in some situations the weight of the T2i could be a really great advantage of that cam). I shoot on the 5D, often with the 24-70mm 2.8 zoom. Together lens and camera weigh around 2kg. Add periferals and the weight would start to get prohibitive for longer shoots with that bracket.

But where weight is an issue maybe you could hook that bracket up to something like this-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554100-REG/Manfrotto_361_361_Shoulder_Brace_for.html

to get a third contact point and take some of the weight off the arms.

Chad Johnson March 31st, 2011 10:35 AM

Hi Ben

Yes with the JL bracket the camera IS more balanced, and it's much easier to get a steady shot. But with heavier cameras, that manfrotto brace (IMO) wouldn't help much to alleviate the arm strain. I have a couple shoulder mounts for my EX1, and though the shots are steadier, all the weight is still on your arms.

There is a cool brace that Philip Bloom referred to as the "El Cheapo" that he (and I) got from China for 30.00 on ebay. Well now the exact model has taken on many names, and some are on B&H, though for a little more. These things are great, and even with an EX1, I can take both hands off the camera and it stays up. It would be perfect for a lighter camera. Still the JL DIY102B is great and small. The El Cheapo is good for long time periods of use.

El Cheapo - Polaroid 39.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752397-USA/Polaroid_PLVM_Stabilizing_Video_Mount.html
El Cheapo - Smith Victor 59.00
Smith-Victor CS-1 Camcorder Stabilizer 700445 B&H Photo Video

I put a manfrotto quick release plate on mine and now I can go from tripod to shoulder in a few seconds. Here's the thing on Phil's Blog: Shoulder mounts…which one? | Philip Bloom (Scroll down)

Ben Denham April 1st, 2011 05:14 AM

Chad,
Thanks for that post. Those definitely seem to be better solutions. Any ebay links for el cheapo?

Chad Johnson April 1st, 2011 01:07 PM

No links to the el cheapo. That ebay listing is long gone, but the 39.00 Polaroid is pretty close to the price I paid, and it's the same thing.