DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Shockmount for Rode NT3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/493792-shockmount-rode-nt3.html)

Brian Luce March 29th, 2011 05:40 PM

Shockmount for Rode NT3

So I won an auction for a Rode NT3. I researched it a bit and it kept coming up as a great bang for your buck mic. The price was right, $130, so here I am. The one comment or reservation about the NT3 was that it's a "Little heavy". No, it's not a "Little heavy", it's REALLY heavy! I could beat a dinosaur to death with this thing. That raises the issue of Shockmounts, I have a universal type shockmount from Location Sound in Hollywood, but it's way too think for this beast. Rode makes a couple of shockmounts that are readily available, but thought I'd check if anyone knows some other vendors and models that are suited to the NT3.
Also, the NT3 appealed because its got battery power so it can be fed straight to a DSLR if need be or run off my Tascam in XLR off, battrery saving mode. Has anyone tried using an NT3 on cam? The weight of this thing is truly a concern for such an application.

Michael Wisniewski March 29th, 2011 08:36 PM

Re: Shockmount for Rode NT3

I use the AT8415 shock mount with the NT3, crisscross the bands to get a tighter fit. I think the NT3 is superior to mics in it's price range but only when mounted on a boom, mic stand or pistol grip to get it closer to your subject - I prefer to use it for recording voiceovers and doing interviews. Smaller than a studio mic, but with a much richer sound than most shotguns or hypers.

For me mounting on camera is too awkward, and doesn't provide any significant enhancement in sound quality. For on camera you could do just as well with a standard and lighter shotgun mic.

So if you want an inexpensive and versatile mic that can make your voiceovers and interviews sound better, the NT3 is a good deal, just don't mount it on camera.

Battle Vaughan March 29th, 2011 11:39 PM

+1 on the AT8415, and even better, B&H sells a version with heavy-duty elastics that really work. I mounted an AT8015 (18 inches long) on a boom with this mount, very happy with it. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300643-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8415_Shockmount_with_Deluxe.html

Jay Massengill March 30th, 2011 07:29 AM

I definitely like my NT3 mics, but I can't remember that I've ever actually put one in a shockmount...
I've always used them in a fixed position or static mounted overhead boom. They are pretty resistant to the normal transmission of noise through a stand.
I don't think I'd try mounting one to a camera. It's just too large and heavy, even though it is the only battery-powered hypercardioid of this quality level that I know of.
I'd be more likely to use one of my other mics with a battery-powered phantom supply, an SD MixPre, or a battery-powered cardioid like my older ATM-31a cardioid mics. The current version of the older ATM-31a is the new AT8031.

Andy Balla March 31st, 2011 05:07 PM

+1 on that AT shock mount with the silicone upgrade. I also have run an AT 8015 (monster) mic on it, with a Softie for wind protection, and it really holds well. Nice thing I just found out recently, I'm getting a Rode NTG3, and it fits the same shock mount as the AT 8015. I get a way better mic, and don't have to kick in extra cash for a new shock mount. BTW, I also put a Sennheiser MKH416 in the same shock mount, and it was a bit loose, but it was good enough to do the job.

Jay Massengill April 1st, 2011 08:41 AM

I have two stock AT8415 mounts and I've considered the upgraded bands but haven't bought any. Instead I've bought a couple of Pearstone Mounts that are very similar and already come with the upgraded type of bands.

I got one as a package add-on for only one cent and have been pleased enough to buy more.

For those who have upgraded their AT8415 bands, was there enough room in the mounting slots of the metal rings to not cut into the thicker upgraded bands?? That's another reason I didn't upgrade after comparing the AT and Pearstone. The Pearstone rings have much wider slots for the thick bands.

At any rate, the upgraded style of bands would not be able to fit an NT3, there just isn't enough stretch for that diameter of wide body mic. You'd have to use something more like the original bands, which would probably not have enough strength.

Andy Balla April 1st, 2011 09:08 AM

Jay, I've been using my AT mount with the upgrade for going on two years, and no problems with the thicker bands being cut or weakened in any way. I remember that it was a tight squeeze to put them on, but never any problems after that. I have two sets of the original bands in my kit just in case the upgrade bands ever break.

Chad Johnson April 2nd, 2011 01:39 PM

Check out the Rycote CCA! It uses their very nice Lyre Suspension webs, made out of a material that does not degrade like rubber. The NTG3 is a heavy mic, but you can aim the CCA up/down so it's pointing wherever you like. You can put it in the clamp of your camera, or attach it to a boom pole.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407104-REG/Rycote_037306_Medium_Hole_Softie_Mount.html
There's also the universal camera kit, which is a great value at 180.00 or so, and comes with a mini screen and mini wind jammer for wind protection. It works better than their softie, and is cheaper.

Universal Camera Kit » Rycote for the NTG-3 you need the 18cm size.

Jean Daniel Villiers April 6th, 2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Balla (Post 1634106)
Jay, I've been using my AT mount with the upgrade for going on two years, and no problems with the thicker bands being cut or weakened in any way. I remember that it was a tight squeeze to put them on, but never any problems after that. I have two sets of the original bands in my kit just in case the upgrade bands ever break.

Have you been using it with a Rode Nt3 because it seem to be quite a big mike. The other thing, is it not better to buy the original Pearstone DUSM 1 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554681-REG/Pearstone_DUSM_1_DUSM_1_Universal_Shockmount_for.html which already has the type of thicker band and cost lower.