Rode responds in an exemplary manner at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 14th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Trustee

Rode responds in an exemplary manner

I've got a couple of Rode mics - on the high recommendation of others - and I'm pleased with my purchases. Then Rode took over the Pin Mic, which seems a great idea - so I ordered one.

Only trouble is Rode's delivery to the US supplier through which I ordered has been utterly abysmal. I have been waiting four months now and the latest I hear is it is at least another month away!

Yet apparently B&H have them!

Chip Thome commented: ' I have NEVER seen better advertising for one’s competitors than RODE has shown me with both this pin mic for Renton and the VMP for me...' saga. Someone else made equally damning comments...

I'm saying send Rode a rocket to get their act into gear, and air ship our orders...

Renton
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #2
Wrangler

re: Rode responds in an exemplary manner

I don't think this is a RØDE problem - you should take this complaint back to where it belongs - the supplier that sold you the mics. Personally, I'd cancel the order. Re-order the mics from one of the great trusted DV Info sponsors like B&H, you'll be happy you did.

And you do realize that not only is RØDE based in Australia but they have a lot of suppliers in New Zealand?
Old April 14th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Trustee

It's a global market now...

I'm happy with my supplier, but not with Rode's delivery to my supplier...
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Major Player

I have had the Rode Videomic Pro on order for weeks now. I knew it was backordered when I ordered it but then the date came and went that was the estimated in stock date. Finally today my order status changed from backordered to processing so I am hopiing it will get here soon.

Rode does a great job of promoting their new products but they really ought to make sure they can meet the demand they generate.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by "D.J. Ammons
they really ought to make sure they can meet the demand they generate.
Just as a purely hypothetical question, how can anyone possibly do that? You won't know how much demand there is until you advertise the product and thereby generate the demand. You can "guesstimate" the demand ahead of time, but you won't know the amount of demand for certain, until after the fact. If the public thinks your product is more desirable than you had anticipated... well, the sword cuts both ways. And I'm sure this mic isn't the first product in history that has been "sold out" temporarily.

--

I will also mention one interesting anecdote, although I certainly don't mean to imply that it has any direct bearing on this particular complaint.

Many years ago, when I was working as broadcast engineer, I had ordered some parts (I don't remember more detail than that) from a local parts store. They never came in and they never came in and... you get the picture. One day I happened to be eating lunch at a diner near the store. I noticed that the guy next to me at the lunch counter had some official logo on his clothing (RCA, GE, or whatever). So I struck up a conversation. It turned out he was a rep for the company that made the parts that I had been waiting for. I started complaining that I had been waiting forever and telling him what a despicable company he worked for. He then informed me that he was in town to try to collect on some many-months-overdue balance from the local dealer. Of course he wasn't going to ship them any more parts until they paid their bill.

Moral: unless you know the whole story don't be too quick to make assumptions about placing blame.

Now I don't know who your local vendor is, and I certainly have no reason to believe thie above situation applies in your particular instance. But there just might be something going on -- shipping problems, manufacturer can't get the parts they need, etc. -- that you don't know about.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Regarding what Greg said, I wonder if Rode sources parts from Japan? Their manufacture and exports are still pretty well messed up from what I understand.
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Things got messed up down under from Australia's own hurricane a while back. And they did'nt expect such a big response to their new lavs and VMP. I guess I shouldn't have made my videos so awesome... Sorry everyone!

Old April 16th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #8
Trustee

...but B&H have them...
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Update on my Rode Videomic Pro situation;

1. The stock finally came in where I bought it and mine has been shipped!

2. Rode does have their pulse on customer complaints because I got an email today from someone at Rode regarding my post in this thread complaining about availability. I was very impressed that they took the time to contact me about my concerns.

I also wanted to mention that I already own the original Rode Videomic and also a Rode NTG-2 and I love both of them. That is one of the reasons the delay in getting the Pro was so aggravating, I am anxious to use it!
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I got a personal reply from a few people at Rode about an issue with an NTG 3 on this forum. I gave them the serial number per their request so that they could track down the exact mic and try to identify any problems in production or materials. They are on it.
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Inner Circle

The terrible events in Japan and the tragic floods in Australia don't affect any production at Rode here in Sydney.

Any new product from any manufacturer takes a bit longer than current product to settle into the path of the delivery stream.

Cheers.
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #12
Trustee

I just got an email stating that my order was shipping for a Rode lav and a headset mic. I ordered them last year sometime (October?) and had completely forgotten that I even placed the order.

Alas, the adapter plugs (1 XLR and one 3.5mm for my wireless) are back-ordered(!!), so when they arrive, the mics will (still!) be only decorative curiosities (very expensive nick-knacks.) Leaves rather a bad taste. :-(
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #13
Major Player

I was going to buy a Rode Lavalier, but ended up not finding stock anywhere so I went with a competitor instead.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #14
Trustee

Rode has been in touch with me as a result of this thread...but I haven't heard further...

Tom and Richard's posts wouldn't have encouraged them...
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #15
Major Player

I did a wide search and found a PinMic and 1/8" Micon at Sweetwater, XLR Micon at B&H, and Sennheiser wireless Micon at Markertek. It took a week or so to get it all, and all those shipping charges added up, but keep searching and you will find...
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio