DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   sound leakage-proof headphones...good and cheap? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/494765-sound-leakage-proof-headphones-good-cheap.html)

Josh Bass April 18th, 2011 10:13 PM

sound leakage-proof headphones...good and cheap?

i do some music and voiceover recording and an annoying problem is the sound that leaks out of the headphones when i have my head near the mic. can anyone recommend a pair that prevent or at least reduce the spill from getting picked up? is there anything out there that does this and is cheap? as in not $400?

Vincent Oliver April 19th, 2011 01:35 AM

Re: sound leakage-proof headphones...good and cheap?

I use the Sennheiser HD25 and they are superb, very little, if any, sound leakage.

The most obvious solution to your problem would be to turn the volume down, You should balance your ambient voice sound with the one you hear through your sound system, in other words don't over amplify your voice.

Josh Bass April 19th, 2011 03:16 AM

Gotta be able hear the other instruments and the beat too, though. I promise I don't have it that loud. Even at very low volume, Sony 7506s leak out quite a bit.

Gary Nattrass April 19th, 2011 04:04 AM

The HD25 are great but I am not keen on them as they sit on top of your ear and can be un comfortable over long periods or if it is hot, I use sony 7506 headphones and the DJ-700's that both totally cover you ears so you get minimal spill.

John Willett April 19th, 2011 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 1640610)
The HD25 are great but I am not keen on them as they sit on top of your ear and can be un comfortable over long periods or if it is hot,

I have never found this at all.

The HD 25 are very comfortable and can easily be worn all day.

I swapped the earpads for the optional velour ones (these now come as standards packed in the box with the HD 25-1 II) which make them more comfortable.

My own HD 25-1 are over 20 years old, still going strong and all I have had to do over the years is to get new earpads about 4 times as they wore out and I had to replace the headband pads after 20uyrears use.

In several sessions I had to wear them for a very long time and have never found them uncomfortable at all.

David W. Jones April 19th, 2011 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1640603)
Gotta be able hear the other instruments and the beat too, though. I promise I don't have it that loud. Even at very low volume, Sony 7506s leak out quite a bit.

A different pair of headphones won't help you learn to mix and monitor properly.

If you are hearing the headphone mix in your recordings, then yes your headphone send is too hot.

All the Best!

Dave

Travis Cossel April 19th, 2011 10:01 AM

I would look into a pair of drummer's headphones. I have a pair of Vic Firth's and they are built to deaden sound from instruments like drums, so for you it would allow you to turn the volume in your headphones down while also keeping sound from leaving.

Greg Miller April 19th, 2011 10:17 AM

I have wanted to try the Vic Firths, for monitoring in live recording situations. I may be forced to buy some since I'm thinking about live recording of trains this coming spring.

There is a Sennheiser audiometric headphone with shells that look a lot like aviation phones, and they seem to have very good isolation. I don't recall the model number, but when I checked the price they were around $500.00.

The old Koss Pro4AAs were probably the best in "non esoteric" phones because they used fluid-filled rubber pads; however they eventually had problems with the fluid leaking out, and stopped making those. A real loss IMHO, I would gladly buy a pair today, if they were available.

Meanwhile, for general purpose use, I have been quite happy with Sennheiser HD280s. They have a much more realistic frequency response than the Sonys, and IIRC better isolation, too.

Rick Reineke April 19th, 2011 10:46 AM

Trew Audio sells a modified version of the ("industry standard"?) Sony 7506 (7506HN) for high-noise situations. If your used to that model of HPs.

Gary Nattrass April 19th, 2011 01:11 PM

Maybe I just have big ears John as I like to have my headphones around my ears and not sitting on top of them, I was trying the HD25 cans with the glensound comm box when working at tottenham last week and everytime I adjusted the mic that was also on the cans for commentary they came off my ear.

Maybe just me as I know a lot of sound recordists that really like them.

Jim Andrada April 20th, 2011 01:44 AM

I have the Senn 280's as well - like them better than the 7506's, but they were VERY tight at first - either they've stretched out a bit or they've compressed my head because it doesn't bother me anymore.

Rob Neidig April 20th, 2011 09:40 AM

I am a long-time user of the 7506s, like many in the industry. I recently got the chance to test out the "isolation" version of those. Not for a whole job, but just for a minute on set. I was quite impressed with the isolation on those.

I'm also a drummer and own the Vic Firth isolation phones. They do isolate, but they sound like doo doo. So if all you need is isolation, great. Just don't expect to be inspired by the sound you hear through them.

Have fun!

Rob

Seth Bloombaum April 20th, 2011 11:49 AM

I've used the Sony 7506 for decades, really, it's a standard. It does overstate mids, this is very handy for as it allows you to critically evaluate dialog. So, by design, it's not really an "entertainment" can!

More recently, I've been using the Senn HD280 for music recording, and it's outstanding for that. Not only does it have a more flat response, but, it is a true over-the-ear design, and provides about as much isolation as a standard set of cans can.

The iso cans that put 7506 drivers inside industrial hearing protectors provide even more iso, they have a response curve like any 7506. Years ago, there were such that had Senn music drivers in them, I've not seen them available recently.

PS. The HD280 costs the same as the 7506, about $100 USD street price.

Greg Miller April 20th, 2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Andrada (Post 1641015)
either they've stretched out a bit or they've compressed my head

Head compression, undoubedly. A cross between mag tape saturation and MP3... the worst of both worlds. Needless to say, destructive compression. Your head will never be the same.

Also those 280s will play hell with your mohawk.

Greg Miller April 20th, 2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Neidig (Post 1641118)
I'm also a drummer and own the Vic Firth isolation phones. They do isolate, but they sound like doo doo.

I've never had a chance to hear them, thus I've been reluctant to buy them. Thanks for the warning, I was afraid that might be the case.

OTOH, I don't like the sound of 7506s (I mostly work on music) so I guess the quest for perfect iso phones will continue...

Paul R Johnson April 20th, 2011 01:13 PM

I've been selling Taiwan Wired Headphone. Nei Hu District Manufacturer, Exporter these for a couple of years now, and I suspect they are the Vic Firth ones - Yoga will pop whatever make and model you fancy on them.

They do sound pretty weedy - but they are VERY loud and the isolation very good - but half an hour is about my limit before your head feels squashed. VERY good too for when the noise in the room needs reducing, stopping sound going in, too.

Jon Fairhurst April 20th, 2011 02:20 PM

My experience is right in line with Seth's and Jims...

The HD 280 Pro cans are tight at first but break in nicely.

I prefer around the ear designs - but this is a personal preference. On ear can work too.

The 7506s are great for the field, but the HD 280 Pros are flatter.

I haven't tried the modded 7506s, so I can't speak to those...

Michael C. Ray April 22nd, 2011 01:35 PM

Sennheiser HD280's......

Josh Bass April 22nd, 2011 02:35 PM

Wow. Didn't realize there were so many responses! Anyway, stopped by Guitar Center and got some HD280s the other day, so quest over. Thanks for the recommendations.

Jim Andrada April 22nd, 2011 03:29 PM

Yes, that's the problem - my head is compressed and I can't find the right codec to restore it to its original condition.

Greg Miller April 22nd, 2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Andrada
Yes, that's the problem - my head is compressed and I can't find the right codec to restore it to its original condition.

Um, Jim, hate to tell you this but it was destructive compression. Even if you find the right codec, your head will always be missing a few bits.

Jim Andrada April 22nd, 2011 07:05 PM

Wow - and here I've been thinking all along that it was lossless! Maybe even a forward erasure coding.

This is bad - hopefully it's Cineform or some other intellectually lossless codec. I'm pretty sure it isn't ProRes because I don't froth at the mouth when I look at a MacBook.

Ty Ford April 22nd, 2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1640603)

Wow! Josh, have you had a hearing test lately? MDR7506 don't leak unless you've got them cranked up REALLY LOUD!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Josh Bass April 22nd, 2011 09:42 PM

Absolutely untrue. I have it just loud enough to hear the mix and myself/acoustic guitar/whatever simultaneously, and very faintly, I hear the leakage on the soundtrack. It's not real loud, but if a vocal/other instrument is alone in the mix and for whatever reason I can't gate it (want it to ring out or whatever), you can hear those little snare hits, etc. from the leak.

Jon Fairhurst April 22nd, 2011 10:23 PM

Josh, let us know how the 280s compare to the 7506s.

I know that 7506s are popular for tracking for the same reason they're good for field recording - their boost cuts through the outside sounds. (But from your experience, they cut into the outside sounds as well.)

Josh Bass April 22nd, 2011 11:43 PM

I will put it this way. . .I have an Imac, and use Logic for recording. My monitoring level is usually between 4-6 "volume bars". Generally not very loud. I realize of course you could raise instrument/track levels for the sole purpose of monitoring loudly, and that people track at different levels, so telling you how loud I set the speaker/headphone volume may not mean much. I certainly don't think of it as cranked.

Jim Andrada April 23rd, 2011 10:20 AM

Have you tried something like the Etymotic in ear units?

Josh Bass April 23rd, 2011 01:01 PM

I just got some HD280s. Tried 'em last night, did a "fake" recording. . .I heard NO spill. NOthing. If it's in there it's so buried as to be negligible.

Jim Andrada April 23rd, 2011 07:29 PM

But have they compressed your head yet?

Josh Bass April 25th, 2011 01:19 AM

Indeed they have! I can now fit my noggin through any orifice in a piece of children's clothing, and even the "door" on a pair of boxers.