Broken Lavalier Mic's! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Broken Lavalier Mic's!

I'm in the event business and every so often someone will break my Lavalier mic by somehow managing to break the cable. I'm quite annoyed with buying new mic's by now! Is there a better solution than always having to replace expensive mics? Thx
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Broken Lavalier Mic's!

Yes, get a more careful assistant and never let your talent touch your equipment.

I often use a cheap lavalier when shooting outdoors, or when there are a lot of people involved in a shot. You can pick up a decent sounding mike from places like Maplins for about £25. Not the best quality but will be good enough for shooting on a noisy location.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Vincent I'm very careful with my gear however assistants come & go, hehe. I don't know how or when my talents find the time to break my mic but they do. I'm afraid to use the really cheap lav's on location though?
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Trustee

I have never had any problems with the cheap mikes, I do test all equipment before I go on location and generally carry at least three lavs, a shotgun (mike) and a small portable recorder. Not lost any sound track as yet.

I am in no way saying that cheap mikes are a replacement to a high quality one, but they are good standby mikes, and with a few tweaks in your sound editor they can sound OK.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio