DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Coiled XLR cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/495240-coiled-xlr-cable.html)

Andy Balla April 29th, 2011 01:11 PM

Coiled XLR cable

Does anyone know of a good source for buying coiled XLR cable (the kind used to internally cable a boom pole)? I've decided to put an internal cable in my Gitzo boom pole, but I'm having a hard time finding a distributor for the coiled cable I need. Any leads would help. Thanks!

Chris Medico April 29th, 2011 01:17 PM

Re: Coiled XLR cable

I did a quick search for the cable as a repair kit and came up with several listings such as this:

Boom Poles

Andy Balla April 29th, 2011 01:20 PM

That's a good idea, Chris. Let me go see if Gitzo offers something similar for their poles...

Greg Miller April 29th, 2011 01:46 PM

Of course there's always eBay e.g. 20 Ft. Coiled 6.3mm M to F Stereo Audio Extension Cable | eBay
but then you don't know much about the quality level, and you may need to change connectors.

Andy Balla April 29th, 2011 01:50 PM

Yeah, Greg, I wouldn't feel comfortable with an unknown quality like that. I just remembered that a guy I know nearby builds cables. Gonna give him a call and see if he has some coiled cable or knows where to get some. Thanks all!

Greg Miller April 29th, 2011 02:25 PM

Yes, in a case like this, a known source is worthwhile.

I used to have the name of a company in NJ that made custom cables, including a lot of medical-grade cables for stims, EKG electrode leads, etc., so I think they were quite reliable. Can't find it right now, but I'll post it if I dig it up.

Steve Oakley April 29th, 2011 03:42 PM

just contact gitzo, assuming they have in internal cable version available. if not, you can always go to TrewAudio.com and have them make a cable that fits. internal cables can be pretty specific, they aren't generic one size fits all parts, and large coils won't work. internal ones are smaller. I can also say the wire is a REAL pain to try to work with.

Andy Balla April 30th, 2011 05:59 AM

A pain in what way, Steve? main reason I was thinking of building it myself or having my local guy do it, is that I can't really send my only boom pole off to have it installed. A time factor. Can't afford to miss a job opportunity because my boom is on vacation!

Steve Oakley April 30th, 2011 07:36 PM

its really small wire inside, like 24GA, with other bits inside, and it wants to curl.

the outer slippery plastic is tricky to get to grab correctly in the connector. you have to cut the wire exactly to the right length.

every one I've worked on the actual wire has also been tricky to get a good solder joint on.

to put this in perspective, I've done hundreds of XLR;s, RCAs, 1/4", ect. saving a couple dollars isn't worth it, just get the cable from gitzo if they have one. if it requires only adding the XLR onto the mic end, thats not so bad because thats usually a straight section.

if you are worried about losing a gig, you can rent a pole cheap enough for a week, or borrow one from somebody for the day.