Problem with ECM77 mic and Sony UWP radio mic kit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM   #1
New Boot

Problem with ECM77 mic and Sony UWP radio mic kit

I just bought a Sony ECM77 mic with locking mini jack to use with my Sony UWP radio mic kit as the supplied standard mic isn't great quality. While the supplied mic works fine, when I plug the ECM77 into the UTX-B1 transmitter it doesn't work. Am I missing something obvious regarding phantom power or the settings on the transmitter unit etc? I assumed that it would just be plug and play so does that mean that the ECM77 is faulty? Unfortunately I dont have any other type of radio mic kit to test the ECM77 mic with so any help or advice that anyone could offer as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Steve
Steve McClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Problem with ECM77 mic and Sony UWP radio mic kit

Steve,

Since Sony itself sells the ECM 77 as an option for their UWP series transmitters, you can be sure that there's nothing fundamentally incompatible between them.

All electret condensers require phantom power - but their selling of that specific mic as an accessory tells you that the proper current IS available from the body pack to power the mic when things are wired correctly.

So now it's just a matter of traditional troubleshooting.

If you can't swap out the components (the second stage after simple visible inspection of the connections in trouble shooting) I'm afraid you're going to have to find someone with the capabilities to actually do a component by component search for where the signals start and stop - and that likely means a trip to a real technician.

But it's highly doubtful that there's any "secret" switch that makes a transmitter work with one mic, but not with another.

Sorry.
Old May 1st, 2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Trustee

Lavs take BIAS power, which is 1.5-5V not phantom which is 12-48V. since its new, I'd return it for another. it can be anything from a broken wire to a simply miswired connector which is most likely the problem. in the return, be very specific about the transmitter you need it to work with as there may be more then one generation of transmitters and they are wired differently on the mic to connector part. there can be 2, 3 or 4 leads in the mic wire...usually its 3.

I have a bunch of lavs with TA5's and went thru 2 tries before I got a working 3.5mm mini -> TA5 adapter for my G3 transmitters with the same connector. first try it was a case of mis wiring as there were 2 ways to wire it. if there is a 50-50 chance of something working, you have a 90% chance its wrong the first time around :(
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I would concur with Steve and Bill, It's most likely not wired correctly. Always specify the make and model of the transmitter you will be using when ordering.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:48 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks guys, your input is much appreciated.
Steve
Steve McClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Trustee

I ordered my units from B&H, and they work fine.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/161264-REG/Sony_ECM_77BMP_ECM_77BMP_Lavalier_Mic_with.html
I did read somewhere that internally, Sony mics are wired opposite of how Sennheizers are.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio