DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   How to record mono in Fostex FR2-LE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/495314-how-record-mono-fostex-fr2-le.html)

Urban Skargren May 1st, 2011 10:29 PM

How to record mono in Fostex FR2-LE

Hello

I have a Fostex FR2-LE and I am very pleased with the quality of the audio recorded with this little device.

I just have one issue. I am often recording on just one channel. The files end up being stereo, with one channel muted. Is there a way to record in mono, or at least record the signal on both channels?
I have been looking into the menus, the manual, forums and the Fostex website but haven't found the answer to this question.
My recorder says it has version 1.30.

John Willett May 2nd, 2011 04:29 AM

Re: How to record mono in Fostex FR2-LE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Skargren (Post 1644888)
Hello

I have a Fostex FR2-LE and I am very pleased with the quality of the audio recorded with this little device.

I just have one issue. I am often recording on just one channel. The files end up being stereo, with one channel muted. Is there a way to record in mono, or at least record the signal on both channels?
I have been looking into the menus, the manual, forums and the Fostex website but haven't found the answer to this question.
My recorder says it has version 1.30.

I don't think it can do this.

I have just read through the manual and can see no mention at all of mono files.

First - I would suggest you go to the Fostex website and upgrade the firmware to the latest version.

You should do this anyway - and they may have added the mono file option in the menu.

If it still does not do this, ask Fostex if they can include this on the next firmware upgrade.

Fostex are pretty good.

The FR-2LE is a very nice machine.

In the meantime you will have to copy the file into your DAW, spit the file into separate tracks and delete the one with no recording.

I hope this helps.

Urban Skargren May 2nd, 2011 06:30 AM

Thanks, John,

I was downloading the latest software from their website, but I got confused when I discovered that that software is version 1.20, while the 'firmware' already in the machine is 1.30.

John Willett May 2nd, 2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Skargren (Post 1644934)
Thanks, John,

I was downloading the latest software from their website, but I got confused when I discovered that that software is version 1.20, while the 'firmware' already in the machine is 1.30.

Looks like you have a new machine with the latest firmware and Fostex have not yet put it up on the site.

That's strange as they used to be very quick with this.

I would e-mail Fostex support and tell them this and also ask the question about mono files.

Actually this is important for radio reporters who only want to record mono interviews and mono files take up half the space of stereo ones and will, therefore, double the capacity of the CF card.

So it's a lot more people than just you who would like mono files.

Let us know how you get on.

Rick Reineke May 2nd, 2011 08:18 AM

Unfortunately most budget DARs only record in stereo. Memory is affordable these days so it's a minor inconvenience IMHO. When recording with one mic, delete the unused track in your favorite audio editing software and save as a PCM mono file.. or just select the 'good' track in your NLE and pan to center. This is easy in some NLEs, Sony Vegas for instance.
That said, a recorder with mono capabilities is certainly handy..
I know for fact the Marantz DARs have a 'mono' (single track) mode. I think the of the Tascam DR-100 may , but I'm not totally sure.

Jon Fairhurst May 2nd, 2011 11:57 AM

There are advantages to recording into a single channel of stereo, rather that to mono.

* If the unit mixes the channels, the unused channel will add noise to your recording.
* If the unit selects a channel, there is the chance that you plug the mic into the wrong channel and record from an onboard/wrong mic.
* If you accidentally leave it in mono, you will be unhappy when you believe that you are recording into two channels during your next take.

With good monitoring practices you can probably avoid the problems above.

Probably...

Brooks Harrington May 2nd, 2011 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, it does record mono starting with version 1.10. No MP3 mono. You need to format the card mono to record mono on the left track. Will only display one track on the LCD.

Urban Skargren May 2nd, 2011 07:29 PM

You nailed it, Brooks. Thanks to you and everybody who contributed.

Kyle Granger October 21st, 2012 05:45 AM

Yeah, thanks Brooks, and everyone else. I just came across this topic while searching for an answer to the same question. I'm recording 1-ch clips, 24/96, for a custom 5-channel panning program (with Rode NT-1A).