DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   best microphone for indoor shooting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/495497-best-microphone-indoor-shooting.html)

Eduardo Romero May 5th, 2011 06:52 PM

best microphone for indoor shooting

So I heard that for indoor shooting hypercardioid is the best all around, I can only afford one and this is the one Im looking at getting

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/349107-REG/AKG_Blue_Line_Series_Microphone.html
I heard its the best one at its price but I'm on a crazy small budget (Self financing everything on a feature film) and if there's a cheaper option out there that has just as good as quality please let me know thank you

Jon Fairhurst May 5th, 2011 07:01 PM

Re: best microphone for indoor shooting

Another similarly priced mic is the AT4053b.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/642499-REG/Audio_Technica_AT4053B_AT4053b_Hypercardioid_Condenser_Microphone.html
I've never compared them. Hopefully, others here have.

Andy Balla May 5th, 2011 07:38 PM

I've been in a toss-up between these two mics and the Oktava MK 012A "Bela Nero" from the Sound Room site. The OKtava from the Sound Room runs about $412 with the Rycote Baby Ball Gag windscreen. Cheaper than either other mic alone, but I haven't heard enough about the difference in quality of sound to make a call here. Looking forward to some input!

Don Bloom May 5th, 2011 08:09 PM

I've been using the AKG 300/93 for a number of years as my primary indoor on board mic and I can tell you that I've never been happier with a microphone. For weddings (I don't use it for ceremonys as I run 2 wireless to my A camera) post ceremony, receptions it is teriffic. For run and gun interviews which I do a lot of at seminars it is fantastic whether on the camera or a boom. Overall my experiece with it has be wonderful.

Chad Johnson May 5th, 2011 08:23 PM

The AT4053b beats the AKG in sound qualty, but also the other caps you can use with the AT all sound great. With the AKG the other caps are not up to par. So there's 2 reasons for the AT.

Andy Balla May 5th, 2011 09:52 PM

Anyone know how the AT 4053b compares to the Oktava Mk 012a?

Chad Johnson May 5th, 2011 10:02 PM

At4053b kicks it in the butt.

Andy Balla May 5th, 2011 10:04 PM

A little more detail, Chad? I'm leaning toward the AT, but I'd like some specific ways it kicks the Okatava in the butt! Things like handling noise, wind resistance, etc.

Jay Massengill May 6th, 2011 09:24 AM

I have the older AT4053a and an older Sound Room Oktava. The AT is more forgiving in handling and wind noise. I do feel my Oktava sounds more open, natural and realistic than my 4053a, which has a very strong low end response even when the roll-off is engaged.
Other factors to consider are the physical size of the mics which can lead to problems when mounting because both are quite short and the Oktava is not only very short but also very skinny.
Because I boom a lot of wider-spaced groups of 3 to 5 people speaking with rapid interchange, I often use a cardioid instead of a hyper.
The AT4021 is an excellent cardioid, actually a fair amount quieter in self noise than the 4053 but it doesn't have interchangeable capsules. It is however between $250 and $290 online.
I also use a Sennheiser K6/ME64 cardioid when I transmit wirelessly with a non-phantom-power transmitter.
Both cardioids are good at not getting ceiling reflections, but of course will pick up more of the tone from the walls than a hyper when used too far from the subject.

So it will depend on the OP's project and the locations as to what I would recommend.

Jon Fairhurst May 6th, 2011 10:46 AM

In the online comparisons that I've heard, the AT4053b sounds much fuller than the Oktava, which sounds terribly thin to me.

As Jay wrote: "Oktava sounds more open, natural and realistic than my 4053a, which has a very strong low end response even when the roll-off is engaged."

And that's why it's important to hear mics for yourself. To me, the Oktava is too thin; for Jay the AT is too fat. Then again, I tend to like a fuller, deeper sound to a mic - along with some high-mid sparkle.

When shopping blind from recommendations, it's also helpful to know thyself. If you like a stronger bottom end, avoid the Oktava. If you like more air, consider it.

Andy Balla May 6th, 2011 06:01 PM

Well, I like fatter sounding mics myself. I like the MKH-416 and Rode NTG-3 in that regard. I'd rather roll off the bass if needed than not have enough to begin with. Looking at the AT 4021 now as well.

Tom Morrow May 6th, 2011 11:56 PM

Don't count out the Sennheiser ME66, which costs about the same $500 or so with a K6 or K6p powering base. It is considered supercardioid not hypercardioid, but that's similar according to sweetwater who say:

Supercardioid: A polar pattern name used to describe the pickup pattern of some microphones. The supercardioid pattern is very similar to, and often confused with, the hypercardioid pattern. The supercardioid pattern is slightly less directional than the hypercardioid pattern, but the rear lobe of sensitivity is also much smaller in the supercardioid.

I am a newbie but have used the ME66 on ten or so indoor interview shoots, on a stand boom just under the frame, usually in addition to a Rode PinMic lapel Mic, and I found the sound similar enough that I wasn't sure which was which in my recordings at first listen.

I honestly didn't do too much research before buying the ME66 because I was in a hurry and found one used for half the retail price, but so far it seems pretty decent.