H4N peaks from 1-100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #16
Tourist

Re: H4N peaks from 1-100

Also, depending on what is coming out of the board you may need an attenuator. The H4n's 1/4" TRS in's are not true LINE but instrument inputs. If the board doesn't have an output fader then the pro LINE level will be too hot and you will need an attenuator. If the board has an output fader then you can bring the level down to match the H4n's inputs. With my Mixpre I output from the tape out which is a consumer line level signal (-10dBv) and it is still too hot. I have to use a -11dB pad cable to bring it down to acceptable levels.
Aaron Spratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #17
Trustee

The fact that he lowered the Zoom's recording gain from 75 to 5, and the distortion persisted, certainly jives with what you're saying about line level signal going to a mic input. Keep in mind that he said it sounded clean before the show started, so the signal from the board must have been just a little bit below the Zoom's clipping level.

Yes, he definitely should use the 1/4" inputs on the Zoom, and probably with a pad to be extra safe.

Still, there is one part of this tale that "does not compute."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak
When my friend told the audio guy that the recording was peaking he turned the volume on his end all the way to off and yet we were still getting that horrible sound.
If the feed from the board was really turned completely off, he should not have had any audio on the Zoom. Board completely off should mean absolutely no signal from board which should mean absolutely no input to Zoom. (And keep in mind that the Zoom was clean, with some significant board signal, before the show started.) So there is still something puzzling here.

Also he mentions that he heard audience applause when the board feed was completely off.

This leads me back to the comment I made in an earlier post:
"Either the board op didn't really know what he was sending to your recorder (i.e. it was not really turned off completely) or else you were using the recorder's integral mics."
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I'm with Greg -- the internal mics might still have been on. I'm guessing the Zoom might have been in 4CH mode.

Last edited by Adam Gold; May 9th, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #19
New Boot

I only mention this because I have done it:) Are you sure you were turning down the record level and not the volume? Both are on 1-100 scales...caused me a bit of consternation once!
John Isgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #20
Major Player

I'm with Greg -- the internal mics might still have been on. I'm guessing the Zoom might have been in 4CH mode.

Yep. And the sound guy's tweaks having no effect, very strange. Could it be that you are simply listening to the wrong file? Remember that in 4CH mode and with the internal mics also on, you will have not one file but three files. One from the internal mics and one each from the XLR sources. Have you checked them all? If you have, apologies to you :-)

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio