The simple (and cheap) things at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 21st, 2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Inner Circle

The simple (and cheap) things

I did a series of indoor, one person interviews yesterday using a Sanken COS-11D and a Soundelux U97 (S/N 1!) in super cardioid mode on a stand into a Fostex FR-2LE recorder. The sound is good, but could be better.

Did I need better mics? No. The Soundelux sounds especially good. Did I need a better recorder? No, the hiss is very, very low. Better cables? Better position? No. All that was great.

What I needed was a few crummy blankets hung between stands. And maybe some sandbags to keep the stands vertical. The room had opposing hard walls and windows with little to break up the sound. Echo was the problem and no mic or recorder would have changed that.

I'm being picky here. The sounds is really quite good. The target audience isn't likely to notice.

But blankets? They're cheap compared to mics and recorders. And they would have helped us block stray light for a more controlled lighting situation. A double win!

Sometimes, simple solutions beat expensive ones. :)
Old May 21st, 2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: The simple (and cheap) things

I've been meaning to pick up about 6 moving blankets from Harbor Freight for a while now. Good for so many things. Like you said, cutting down bad reflections, blocking sunlight...Or as a boom op, it would be nice to either stand on one of these or kneel on one folded several times. Every time I work a shoot it seems there's always one shot that I have to boom low, which means I end up kneeling on some hard and cold floor for several hours. Another use would be to put one down for actors to walk on if I'm getting too much footstep noise on a hard floor. +1 for moving blankets!
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've got to admit, bringing the world's greatest mic to a shoot feels cool. Lugging around a bunch of heavy, bulky stands, blankets, and sandbags feels uncool. Dammit Jim, I'm an audio guy, not a grip. ;)

Too bad that no mic would be as effective!

Great point about having the blankets for the knees. When you can stop the pain, "cool" no longer matters. :)
Old May 21st, 2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just about every shoot I do sound for, I end up kneeling on a marble or concrete floor thinking "Oh yeah, I should buy knee pads". Moving blankets would do double duty here, I think.
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Trustee

And of course after a hard days shooting you can use the blankets to rest those weary eyes and ears.

Maybe someone should market them as the all purpose mobile recording studio, stick a clapper board logo on and triple the price.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Once was shooting in a college chapel with very high windows. Even with the shutters closed, a sliver of light was landing directly on the performer. I got a blanket from my car, stuck it on the top of mic stand, raised it to 15', and viola -- instant shade.

I've found doormats to be especially useful.
Christian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:00 PM   #7
Inner Circle

A 15' mic stand? You work with really tall performers. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio