Looking for a very small recorder - with the right specs. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: Looking for a very small recorder - with the right specs.

Greg,

This is a fair point. OP, after Greg's points here I should think a more up to date RAM recorder would be better, as although I have not had any problems with MD recording. It seems a sensible decision to get a more reliable recorder.

You can get a 64gb ipod touch and use a iphone tie clip mic or powered shotgun mic to get CD quality audio. There are good apps avalible that allow you to adjust gain etc while recording and get HQ wav recording or theres the blue mikey 30 pin connector mic for a top-pocket job. So 64gb recorder is not bad if you get a 3rd Gen for $250-$275

:)
Eric Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #17
Trustee

I have to admit I was quite enamored with MD when they first came out. It seemed as if finally a solution to field recording had arrived. Then, after having some problems, I kept wondering, "Why doesn't someone modify an MD machine to record on memory chips?"

I really could not break myself of the desire to record more with the MD machine(s) and kept trying. Those recordings that were successful sounded surprisingly good to me (although in retrospect the original version of ATRAC was not as good as WAV, or high bitrate OGG, etc.).

But after driving five hours to record a two hour gig, checking the MD at the end of the session, and driving another five hours back home, only to discover that the disc wouldn't play (on the same machine) when I got home... that's when I knew it was time for me to retire that technology.

Eric, what choice of sampling frequencies and bitrates to you have with the iPods?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #18
Major Player

Almost forgot - very small recorder with the right specs = Sonosax MiniR82.

It's the size of a pen and very high quality.

Records 16 or 24 bit anywhere from 44.1 to 192kHz.

Records 8 tracks on HD and can mirror 2 tracks to a CF card.

All on a device not that much larger that an iPhone.
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #19
Trustee

Based on the "Features" list on their website, that looks like a very interesting combination of features.

It's not at all the size of a pen, though... although it may be a similar length. In fact, I can't find the actual dimensions on the website or in the .pdf manual... that strikes me as rather odd.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Based on the "Features" list on their website, that looks like a very interesting combination of features.

It's not at all the size of a pen, though... although it may be a similar length. In fact, I can't find the actual dimensions on the website or in the .pdf manual... that strikes me as rather odd.
Sorry - yes length of a pen, rather than "size" - but I did explain it whan I compared it to an iPhone.

I guess it's about the same size as two iPhones stacked on top of each other. It's a tad thicket than an AA battery if you look at the pictures in the manual.
Old November 14th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #21
Regular Crew

So, regarding the TASCAM PR-10 and DR-03;
Does anyone know of a difference other than the mics?
Battery life? Reliability? Anything to put one above the other?
Buying two. Initially for use in wedding; groom and priest with giant squids.

Many thanks.
Anthony Milic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 01:33 AM   #22
Major Player

I think the PR10 is quite OK and it will provide plug-in power for lavaliere mics.
Just be sure you record @ 48khz or your sound will be out of sync with your camera/timeline.
If you can't afford (recording media wise) 48khz: first convert the audio to that in post production (mp3 to WAV@48khz).

I haven't used the PR10 for all day long events but sometimes it makes sense to let it record for hours and hours to capture all the audio.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio