h4n for wedding event at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

h4n for wedding event

Hi all,

I will be using the h4n for an upcoming wedding. I will be getting a tab from the DJ via xlr connection. Here are my questions on settings:
-Should I set the record level to 100 or 90 or leave it at auto rec level?
-Input comp/limiter: Should I leave it OFF or Limit2 (Concert), or Limit1 (General)? (it will be mixture of vocal and music)

Any other pointers would really be appreciated!

Big thanks...

Aa
Aaron Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: h4n for wedding event

Hi Aaron

I would check out the Dj's technical skills first!! Most are more entertainers than sound engineers and the last thing I ever do is trust a feed from a DJ....if he screws up your feed you are done for!!!

I would much rather pop a lav into the Zoom and clip it on the groom..that's what most of us wedding guys do that...much safer than relying on a DJ feed which 9 times out of 10 is awful!!!

Just my 2 cents

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Trustee

I would have a pair of variable impedance pads on hand to avoid an impedance mismatch.
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi David

That's fair enough but you still need something that will control the space between the DJ's ears..unless he is a skilled sound operator...they unfortunately seldom are....I would seriously still have some sort of backup as well...as already said, put the zoom in the grooms pocket and feed to one channel and then take the mixer feed to your second channel...if the feed is better than the zoom then you have no problems, if it's awful then at least you have the zoom in the pocket as backup!! I have even battled with professional theatre audio engineers where the audio has just faded away or been non-existant!!!

Remember a wedding is a one off event!! There are no retakes cos the audio was missing....I would definately have a backup plan running as well!!! I have 3 wireless transmitters running at weddings plus a shotgun mic on the closeup camera... just for safety and best choice of audio!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Ditto everyones advice, it would be a h2 in the grooms pocket, not the h4n. Set the record level to match his output, around -6 to -12. I use concert limiter during events, but if you can, try to check it. The dj's I've worked with though have had feedback issues, etc., so backup is key.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Trustee

An H4n in the grooms pocket???? It's a monster for that sort of thing...wouldn't even think of it.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #7
Inner Circle

"Is that an H4n or are you happy to see me?"
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Trustee

There are so many directions I could go with this, but discretion is the better part of valor....
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Major Player

Aaron, spend some time reading through the numerous posts concerning use of the H4n and its little brother the H1 on this board and all will become clear. Well, clearer anyway :-)

Be careful of the hardcore who dismiss the H4n and would also have you hire higher spec. equipment, a sound guy, and have you with boom poles all over the place at a wedding! The Zooms are more than adequate for wedding work.

Taking a feed off the board may work well but it is a dangerous strategy if it is to be your main or only source. Even if the DJ is totally on top of the technology and is sympathetic and helpful there will still be a huge difference in the Levels you need to set for voice and for music. You will likely need to use a pad cable to reduce the hot input during disco time. Auto levels doesn't really help you in the Zoom's case. You need to monitor the levels, at least at times when there is a big change in audio from voice to music and back.

XLR may be what you use to connect the Zoom to the board but that may not be the output socket you get to use on the board. Have a good selection of adapters and make sure you are familiar with how to actually record the signal be it into a Zoom XLR or Zoom 1/4" line in socket. Probably the most common connection - in my part of the world anyway - would be Phono plugs on the board. So use a red and a white phono cable from the board and just connect these to the Zoom line in using a two to one adapter (if indeed the cable doesn't do that anyway). Use a pad cable going into the zoom as well if you find the signal is hot.

A safer strategy for events where you cannot easily monitor or repeat takes is to record near an audio speaker. And / Or place recorders close to speech givers etc. You don't even necessarily need to think about using lavs. An H4n or H1 can be easily hidden in a flower arrangement close the the main action during the ceremony and on a table during speeches. H1's are so cheap you might as well get several and cover your back.

Remember audio at weddings does not have to be pristine, just good.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Trustee

I ALWAYS try to capture pristine audio for weddings. Our customers here can tell the difference between good and pristine.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio