Can you use multiple transmitters to one reciever Sennheiser G3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Can you use multiple transmitters to one reciever Sennheiser G3?

Hi I recently purchased the Sennheiser EW112P G3 LAV SYS (B) EK100/SK100/ME2
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618741-REG/Sennheiser_EW_112P_G3_B_EW112_p_G3_Camera_Mount.html
Having gone through the manual I haven't come across conclusive evidence on whether or not if I buy another transmitter ,then I can use both transmitters at the same time going into one receiver.

Is this possible?
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Can you use multiple transmitters to one reciever Sennheiser G3?

Nope, you need one of these for that.
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Trustee

If you run both transmitters at the same time you will only get one of the transmitters sound if any sound at all. The receiver will not let you hear both transmitters when they are on the same frequency as the two transmitters broadcasting on the same frequency will cause interference with each other. If one transmitter is sending a stronger signal than the other the receiver might be able to tune it in to the exclusion of the weaker signal. Still most likely you would get hash. The reason to have a second transmitter would be if you wanted to switch the receiver to another frequency to pick up the second transmitter while dropping the signal from the first transmitter. There are some radio mic receivers which are made to receive two separate transmitters but this doesn't appear to be one of them
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Ah thats a bummer ,thanks for the fast help!
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bostick View Post
Hi I recently purchased the Sennheiser EW112P G3 LAV SYS (B) EK100/SK100/ME2
Sennheiser EW112-p G3 Camera Mount Wireless EW112PG3-B B&H Photo

Having gone through the manual I haven't come across conclusive evidence on whether or not if I buy another transmitter ,then I can use both transmitters at the same time going into one receiver.

Is this possible?
No!

You cannot do this with any system by any manufacturer on the market.

You must never have two transmitters on the same frequency, ever. All they do is fight with each other and you get horrible noises.

It's the law of physics.

You have to have at least one receiver for every transmitter.

Yes, some manufacturers make a larger box with more than one receiver inside - but, this is still transmitting to different receivers on different frequencies.

But, you can have as many receivers as you want listening to each transmitter (EG: one transmitter with a receiver on several cameras listening to the same thing).
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Trustee

Just buy another G3 system - if you check the prices quoted, two G3 sets are much the same as one of the twin channel jobs and give you more flexibility. You can use the two systems independently on the one camera or on two (or a separate sound recorder located where it is most convenient) or use both receivers with one of the transmitters when needed. You would need to be sure you were going to use a two channel receiver on the one camera/recorder a lot before it would be worth buying one.

I suspect Sennheiser don't make one because it's not worth their while.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

TapeWorks Texas Inc has the Sennheiser EW112PG3 wireless system available for $549.99
TapeWorks Texas | Sennheiser EW112PG3-G Camera Mount Wireless Microphone System Call us 866-TAPEGUY

If you are interested in a dual receiver system, you may be interested in the Audio Technica ATW-1821
TapeWorks Texas | Audio Technica ATW-1821C Camera Mount Dual Wireless Microphone System Call us 866-TAPEGUY
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
Just buy another G3 system - if you check the prices quoted, two G3 sets are much the same as one of the twin channel jobs and give you more flexibility. You can use the two systems independently on the one camera or on two (or a separate sound recorder located where it is most convenient) or use both receivers with one of the transmitters when needed. You would need to be sure you were going to use a two channel receiver on the one camera/recorder a lot before it would be worth buying one.

I suspect Sennheiser don't make one because it's not worth their while.
Actually, i've been using the 1821 receiver, with either 2 body paks or 1 pak and a plugin xmitter on a HH mic depending on what the situation calls for, almost since the day AT came out with it and honestly, it was one of the best moves I ever made. Now when doing a wedding or talking heads and I need the 2 mics I can monitor both of them at the same time. One in the left ear, one in the right. One of the best things about the unit is the fact that the mics can be mixed at the receiver so both mics can go to one channel which still leaves a camera channel open for me to use either a wired mic OR a 2nd wireless. I've had some opportunities to do that for panel discussions. Actually I've been thinking about getting another 1821 so I could literally run 4 lavs to 2 camera channels and be able to hear them all.
BEWARE!!!!! the mics that come with the AT body paks are not what anyone would call "all that good" and I'm being kind. When I ordered the kit I also ordered Countryman lavs. THAT was the best move I made to go along with the AT unit.
Yes, the one unit is about the same money as 2 individual units but the added convience of being able to monitor all my audio from the camera position and only having one unit to tote around is well worth to me as I used to carry 2 seperate units and while I could hang them both off my full sized cameras try to do that on a small form factor camera is a real PITA.
Basically as you can tell, I'm a hugh proponent of the 1821 dual system but you pays your money and takes your choice.
Old June 5th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #9
Major Player

One would typically use a mixer (e.g. sound devices 302) to combine the signals from different wireless receivers.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio