Rebel T2i + Audio Technica AT875R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 6th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Tourist

Rebel T2i + Audio Technica AT875R

Hi all,

I am very new to the audio component of filmmaking. Today, I am trying to use an Audio Technica AT875R to capture audio by plugging it directly into the T2i's mic port (I don't have the time or funds to buy any adapters). However, the mic is not picking up any sound at all, when hooked up to the camera or simply when plugged into my computer. If I thought correctly, phantom power should come from the computer into the mic, but this is not happening. Is there something I'm missing? This must be a mic problem, but I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks!
Reid
Reid Hildebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Rebel T2i + Audio Technica AT875R

As far as I know neither T2i nor the computer microphone inputs have phantom power. Have you checked the specifications of your camera and the computer?
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Well you are correct and not.

The AT 875r requires a considerable higher voltage phantom power than the T2i provides.
the 875 wants to see 11v to 52v phantom power to operate, the camera provides a very small voltage maybe less than 2 volt which is enough for some low end electrets.

Basically the two are not immediately compatible with out either a pre-amp that supplies phantom or phantom power adapter. either way they arent going to work by themselves.

Do yourself a favor and do a search because this is very well covered subject over the last 6 months or so, depending on the type of filming you do you may be able to achieve passable audio for an interview or something like that where perfection is not critical (and thi can only be achieved with using the ML hack and a mic pre or a wireless mic which output a hotter signal), however if your aspirations are to do narative films, dont waste your time trying to record direct to camera and just pick up a decent recorder with XLR inputs with phantom or a field mixer and a recorder with line ins.

hope this helps

good luck
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Reid:

I am the biggest fan of the AudioTechnica AT-875R, it is a superb mic for the money. Unfortunately it is a pro mic though and you are not a pro in a pro gear situation (no phantom, no XLR input).

Your best bet would be to sell the AT-875R and replace it with a RØDE Videomic. Sounds great and has a 3.5mm stereo connection that will plug right into your T2i. You will need to use the free Magic Lantern firmware to turn off the AGC in your T2i. Chad Johnson posted on this same board with some helpful video samples of what this will sound like. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...lp-needed.html

I have reviewed the RØDE for some magazines, it is a great little mic.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio