URGENT - Audio Help Needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 17th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

URGENT - Audio Help Needed

I have a T2i and have been using a Zoom H1 Handy Recorder on a RODE shockmount for my sound. It's been alright.

I am doing this because I do NOT want to put the firmware Magic Lantern on my camera as it voids the warranty.

Today the RODE Videomic (not the PRO one) went on sale for $130 (savings of $60) and I am wondering if, when plugged into the H1 Handy Recorder, will it improve my sound or be pretty much the same?

I've been impressed with the sound on the H1 but would like to know if shelling out the extra money for the Rode mic to attach to the H1 would make a big difference.

Thanks
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: URGENT - Audio Help Needed

That depends on how you are using your H1.

With the Rode you will be able to put on boom and get it close to the actors. big Plus

it will seize to be stereo and will now be recording both channels in mono.(since mic is mono)

I think it will be a good move, get you a boom pole along with it and you're cooking
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Firstly Magic lantern only lives on the card, not in the brains of your camera. It does not void the warantee. It's awesome.

Secondly, yes, a mono mic will improve your audio because dialogue should be recorded in mono. In stereo it loses focus, and drifts back and forth. I would still recommend the Rode VMP ofer the VM. The 20 db boost really helps, allowing you to turn down recording levels, and turning down noise with it. Remember you must get the mic within 2 feet of the person speaking for good audio to happen. Beyond that you start getting more room sound/noise the further away you get.

Old June 20th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Chad:

Thanks for the test with the ML and the RODE. Sounds surprisingly good for a DSLR, better than my 5D MKII.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio