ATR-55 suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ATR-55 suggestions

I am in need of an inexpensive boom mic, I saw on Ebay a ATR-55 for $180. It comes with the pole, mic, cables, shock mount, everything you need. Now I know that a more expensive mic would be better but I'm asking if this is decent and worth my money.
Jesse Parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:16 AM   #2

At the risk of sounding like a smart alec or a snob...
you're mostly paying for a boom, shockmount, and nothing else. As much as I love AT mics, you'd be better off with a Rode VideoMic and a broomstick than a cheap boom and an ATR 55, and the Rode with a broomstick would cost less. The ATR 55 is one of about 3-4 low end plastic mics that AT offers that aren't very impressive....but everyone needs a cheap mic, I guess.
My recommendation:
Pass on it.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:18 AM   #3
Major Player

I'll second Douglas' opinion. That was my first mic... and while the body of it is actually metal, there's way better choices out there. Don't let the appearance fool you into thinking it will perform like the Rode NTG-1 or an 897.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Rode VideoMic... If there's any way possible I think you'd be dramatically happier with something like the NTG-1 at $229.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:47 AM   #4
Fred Retread

"You get what you pay for."
"Quality is the best bargain in the long run."

Like most people, I've heard those all my life. I've heeded them sometimes and not others. But I can't think of many examples in my life where they have proven truer than for recording audio.

"A piece of quality audio gear will remain in your kit when your current and future camcorders are in the dumpster."

I'd like to credit the person who first said that, but I don't know who it is.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Actually, I have tested the RODE NTG-2 (same as NTG-1 but with battery), RODE Videomic, and AT897. I own the Videomic and AT897. There is very little difference in the audio characteristics of these mics. The Videomic is a definite value in this arena.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'll chime in here too. I have an ATR-55 and tried it once and found the _only_ advantage is you don't pick up the motor noise from the camcorder, however it's only mono and the sound quality is no better than the built-in mic on my PV-DV953. Also, I found that the "shotgun pattern" was too noisey and I only liked the "cardioid pattern". Get the Videomic, best $150 you'll ever spend for audio. OR I'll be happy to sell you my 55 for $25 plus shipping... only used once. Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio