MAJOR hissing from short DIY XLR cables with shotgun mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

MAJOR hissing from short DIY XLR cables with shotgun mic

Hello folks,

I am trying to hook up an AT875R shotgun mic to my new Canon XF 100.

I first tried using my 6 inch DIY Canare XLR cable (the cable worked flawlessly with my old JVC HM100) to hook up both the shotgun mic and the XF100, and got MAJOR hiss. I then soldered other short cables (using various neutrik XLRs, Canare/Audio Technica mic cable) and still getting the same hiss.

I then used a long store-bought 10 foot XLR cable with the XF100 and shotgun mic, and there was no hiss, worked very well.

Keep in mind that the first 6 inch DIY Canare XLR cable worked fine on the JVC HM100, but not the XF100. I've tried playing with all the audio settings on the XF 100, but no luck.

Have you guys had this problem?

I've done quiet a bit of soldering, including surface mount soldering, but I do not believe I am that rusty, making cold joints :) The wires are at the right pin locations, the cable shielding is soldered to pin 1 on all cables.

Any suggestions would be great! Thank you.

Sam

Last edited by Sam Young; June 23rd, 2011 at 06:06 AM.
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: MAJOR hissing from short DIY XLR cables with shotgun mic

I have been making my own cables (and using them) for almost 50 years. This scenario sounds very unlikely. I cannot see how a cable can be implicated in any case involving "hiss". That is assuming that we are talking about what is commonly refereed to as "hiss". Now if you were using the word "hum", that might be a different story.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It is a very loud static noise, it is a best way I can describe it. I've never heard of such noise either, and do not know why it is happening, especially since I've successfully built various headphone cables, headphone amps, other xlr cables and such. Very weird... and very discouraging..
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

After I make a cable, I carefully inspect the connections with a magnifying glass or lupe .. (my eyes ain't what they used to be) and check the connections with an ohm meter for pin-to-pin continuity, resistance and cross-check for shorts in a RX100 ohm mode. For instance, a stray strand of the shield touching a hot or cold conductor, which could go undetected in a standard cable/continuity tester.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Okie doke, I will check for stray strands. Though I twist all the strands together tightly, and then tin it full of solder to prevent stray strands, perhaps I am getting cold solder. I think I will buy another set of neutriks and try again.. Thanks guys!

Any other suggestions are very, very welcomed.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:20 PM   #6
Old Boot

Odd.

How were you monitoring? Headphones? Try another set. Can't explain why the 10 foot cable working. Was the mic in the same position for all lengths?

Bizarre!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've tried my custom molder In Ear Monitors, as well as the cheapo Apple earbuds, both with same results.

All cables were tested close to the camcorder, 3 inches from the camcorder XLR jack.

This really is bizarre, I will buy all new parts and build another cable when I come back from a trip, though I have lost all hope... Either I am hitting a dry spell with my soldering, or there is some voodoo magic going on with my xf 100.

Thanks guys.
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Inner Circle

In my experience with Canon's, they have the weakest and noisiest HP amps I have ever encountered, as bad, if not worse than the RED's. The BG noise you are hearing could be the HP amp. The Canon's mic/line gain is rather weak as well..
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio