What lavalier system around 1000$ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What lavalier system around 1000$

I am using sennheiser ew100 g2 with sanken capsule, i don t have a big budget but want to make a qualitative leap with lavalier, at least with one, my budget is around 1000 $/€

all your suggestions are welcome
David Aliperti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: What lavalier system around 1000$

Just curious but are you unhappy with the sound of the Sanken on the sennheiser g2 or is it range related?
I have a Sanken COS 11 and a Voice Technologies VT500 that replaced the stock Sennheiser mics and I love the way they sound. Match much better to my boom mic.
I've recently used an older Lectrosonics system and it sounded very good, not much different from my rigs but the range was incredible and therefore absolutely reliable where near the Sennheiser's range limit, I sometimes get dropout or bursts of static. Essentially though, if my camera can see the talent, I'm in a safe range.

I think Lectrosonics start around $1300 (mic included) where a re-miked g3 would be within your budget of $1k.
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

both, it is noisy and I have problem related distance, i need a diversity receiver and a tx more powerful then 25 mw,
what about azden, is someone using them? and what about sr lectrosonic, dual receiver, (diversity??) of course they are out my actual 1000$ budget but i would consider to spend more, i need to have a professional wireless lavalier system i could use to send audio from mixer/recorder to a camera too.
Old June 26th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Azden will not solve your problem. I had 2 sets of the 500U receiver and while they worked quite well I feel my AT18XX receiver works way better with more features.
IMO if you can go up a bit in price then go for the Lectros. I've used them and had great sucess with them but then the units I used weren't the 100 series.
Old June 26th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi David

Like most wireless on-camera systems, transmitters only have mic inputs not line inputs which you might need if you are sending a signal from a recorder. I'm using 330ULT Azdens and they work very well for me but I wouldn't like to try to put a line level signal thru the transmitter.

If you are going to feed the transmitter (current or new) with line level then you will need at least a -40db attenuation pad between the mixer and the transmitter

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #6
DVCreators.Net

What do you think of this idea....since you already have the Sanken COS11 lavalier, just have it re-wired for the Sennheiser 2000 series with a 3pin lemo connector and then get a new Sennheiser SK 2000 Transmitter.

You can still use your existing G2 Receiver with the Sennheiser 2000 series Transmitter, then you would have the benefit of stronger output power. It's selectable between 10, 30, 50 and in the US - 100mW.

Sennheiser Worldwide - SK 2000

Note that Sennheiser G2 and G3 Transmitter output power is unadjustable and locked at 30mW.

So the 2000 series will transmit further, but does it actually sound better?
Well, the specs show lower lows and higher highs.
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

" What do you think of this idea....since you already have the Sanken COS11 lavalier, just have it re-wired for the Sennheiser 2000 series with a 3pin lemo connector and then get a new Sennheiser SK 2000 Transmitter.

You can still use your existing G2 Receiver with the Sennheiser 2000 series Transmitter, then you would have the benefit of stronger output power. It's selectable between 10, 30, 50 and in the US - 100mW.

Sennheiser Worldwide - SK 2000

Note that Sennheiser G2 and G3 Transmitter output power is unadjustable and locked at 30mW.

So the 2000 series will transmit further, but does it actually sound better?
Well, the specs show lower lows and higher highs."

THANKS this sound great, I am realizing that sk 2000 works in same frequency set of ew100, I can buy 1 o 2 trasmitters and latter buy receivers
Old June 30th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #8
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=David Aliperti;1663125...
THANKS this sound great, I am realizing that sk 2000 works in same frequency set of ew100, I can buy 1 o 2 trasmitters and latter buy receivers[/QUOTE]

Note that 2 transmitters require 2 receivers.
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Regular Crew

some store in US answer me that coul be some compatibile problem between sk2000 and ew100 , what is it? if i purchase the same frequency range item of 100 mw am i going to get an improved performance?

Note that 2 transmitters require 2 receivers.
__________________ i own four ew100 sistem, i want to replace my acutall transmitters with sk2000

Last edited by David Aliperti; June 30th, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old June 30th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #10
Major Player

The G3 and 2000 series have expanded the frequency operating ranges since the G2. For instance the A band used to be 518-554 with G2, and is now 516-558 with G3. The 2000 series extends even further in some groups. The important point is you cannot receive these extra frequencies with the older units and therein lies the "incompatibility". All other features are totally compatible. I use a 2000 series transmitter with a ek500G2 receiver often, and it works very well.

I have to note however, if you are unhappy with the sound of senn/cos11 i don't think a 2000 transmitter will sound any differently than a G2. FWIW I use the MKE2EWgold mics on my G2s for national and international broadcasts on a regular basis and have been quite happy with them.

Also, the additional transmitter power of the 2000 will probably not buy you much more range as you have to square the output power to double your distance. bigger gains can be made by using the rack mount receivers which are more sensitive and larger antenna with more gain. the 2000 portable receivers are more sensitive than the G2 portables and do have semi-diversity but still are not close to the sensitivity of the rack mount receivers.

I keep saying I'm going to mcgyver an antenna jack onto a G2 portable receiver so I can use a better antenna. someday...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio