Conference Project - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 30th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Conference Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Edwards View Post
The speaker wants to record 10 hours of audio at a conference, send me the files, and I would transfer to a C/D for distribution. (he is doing the recording)

He will purchase the recording equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Edwards View Post
The speaker only wants to record her voice as she conducts different sessions within the same room. Each session is about 1 hour long. She has no problem clipping a recorder onto her waist and a lapel mic on her blouse. Batteries should last 6 hours or more (she can install new ones at lunch)
So during the 10 hours, the speaker changes from being a man to being a woman?

Chris S, this might be more interesting than you thought.

:-)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Yeah, already picked up on that one, was doing the math and kept coming up with [Conference = 5 hours max per day (never known anyone stay awake longer than 5 hours + breaks, including myself) = two days of conference, or 2 speakers in parallel].

Must be stellar stuff if they think they're going to flog them to the masses, but, it's America, anythings possible, heck, they have a Tea Party, forcryingoutloud!

Hadn't given a great deal of thought to the "on the fly" sex change though, must be slipping! (but again, it's America, anythings possible).

Funny, had a guy with a distinct Indian accent ring me earlier, saying I had a virus on my computer and I needed to log on to this weird web site so they could fix it.

Needless to say, he got the good 'ol, "Where's your nearest police station so I can get them to pick you up" treatment, didn't go down too well, strangely.

Spoil sport.

Life! Funny old thing.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 12:22 AM   #18
Trustee

People do this all the time with relatively inexpensive voice recorders. I would use a clip-on lav mic with a pocket-size voice reorder. There are handy units that record to removable media (like SDHC flash RAM cards), and use conventional replaceable batteries (like AA or AAA). For example, the Olympus DS-2400 and similar units.

Units like that will give you good voice recording quality to removable, exchangeable media so you don't have any service interruption downloading content. And they use replaceable primary cells so you don't have to worry about spending time recharging built-in batteries.

Apparently this isn't an area that the regulars here are very familiar with, either the technology or the business model.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:34 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
So during the 10 hours, the speaker changes from being a man to being a woman?
It's a sex-change workshop. Even better than an Amway rally.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #20
Trustee

For heaven's sake don't recommend any equipment with XLR connectors... that would lead to more male/female confusion. (Just kidding of course.)
We all end up recording "conferences" at some point in our career. They are obviously important enough to the planners and presenters, but as always it remains to be seen their value to anybody listening for that long later on.
I had to do one myself the other day. Nearly 3 hours (with a break), but at least it's on video with a companion PowerPoint print out.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #21
Trustee

Yeah, connector gender is always troubling. When my staff got confused, I always said, "Remember, jack is not male." Of course in the UK they have "jack plugs" which must be some sort of bi-gender thing. ;)

Thank goodness you've got PowerPoint to go with the video. It's a well known fact that PowerPoint can change totally worthless content into totally worthless content.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Richard ... thanks for your suggestion and thanks for NOT telling me that my client is nuts for wanting to record the audio at the conference. Seems there are several people wanting to TURN DOWN WORK ??? rather than to explain the the client the end result may not win any awards for outstanding audio. I have passed on the constructive suggestions to the customer.
Ron Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #23
Trustee

I'm not suggesting you turn down work... far from it.

But I've had some painful experiences where the client expected to receive what he had imagined he would receive. Whereas what he actually received what the best that I could produce, under the circumstances.

To avoid such pain in the future, I simply think it's important that the client have realistic expectations going into the project.

But by all means... get their money! ;-)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio