DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser G2 EW100 Handheld faulty? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/497766-sennheiser-g2-ew100-handheld-faulty.html)

Andrew Prince June 28th, 2011 10:41 AM

Sennheiser G2 EW100 Handheld faulty?

Hi,

Anyone here know much about the Sennheiser G2 EW100 Handheld microphone?

I have been trying to buy a handheld wireless mic to match my G2 EW100 ENG system which I use for weddings. I finally found one on eBay and bought it. The seller was American and to get this microphone second hand, I have had to pay 40 US Dollars postage, 37 UK Pounds import duty and a further 13 UK Pounds Parcelforce handling fee because of the import duty.

I have since received the microphone and tested it and I cannot get it working. The problem is, basically, I cannot get any indication on the AF meter on the microphone which indicates to me that the microphone isn't picking up any audio.

You can imagine with the hassle I have had trying to get hold of this microphone, I am reluctant to send it all the way back to the seller in America. Effectively, it will have cost me about 75 UK Pounds and I'll end up with no microphone!

What I am wondering is...

1. Should the AF meter register audio? Even when my receiver is switched on or off?
2. Is this a fault?
3. If it's a fault, is it a common fault?
4. If it's a common fault, how might I buy spares and repair it?
5. If it needs Sennheiser to repair it, how much would that cost?

Any help, much appreciated. Otherwise I'm going to end up with a Sennheiser shaped hole in my window! :-)

Kind regards,

Andrew.

Shaun Roemich June 28th, 2011 11:45 AM

Re: Sennheiser G2 EW100 Handheld faulty?

Do the transmitter and receiver work on the same frequencies?!?!?

John Willett June 28th, 2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Prince (Post 1662454)
Hi,

Anyone here know much about the Sennheiser G2 EW100 Handheld microphone?

I have been trying to buy a handheld wireless mic to match my G2 EW100 ENG system which I use for weddings. I finally found one on eBay and bought it. The seller was American and to get this microphone second hand, I have had to pay 40 US Dollars postage, 37 UK Pounds import duty and a further 13 UK Pounds Parcelforce handling fee because of the import duty.

I have since received the microphone and tested it and I cannot get it working. The problem is, basically, I cannot get any indication on the AF meter on the microphone which indicates to me that the microphone isn't picking up any audio.

You can imagine with the hassle I have had trying to get hold of this microphone, I am reluctant to send it all the way back to the seller in America. Effectively, it will have cost me about 75 UK Pounds and I'll end up with no microphone!

What I am wondering is...

1. Should the AF meter register audio? Even when my receiver is switched on or off?
2. Is this a fault?
3. If it's a fault, is it a common fault?
4. If it's a common fault, how might I buy spares and repair it?
5. If it needs Sennheiser to repair it, how much would that cost?

Any help, much appreciated. Otherwise I'm going to end up with a Sennheiser shaped hole in my window! :-)

Kind regards,

Andrew.

It's 99% certain that it's on the wrong frequency band.

The USA use versions A, B and G. They used to use band C but this is now illegal in the USA.

The UK use version E and, from last year, version GB. Version D was used professionally, but will become illegal after next year.

It's almost certain you have a version C, B or A and it obviously won't work as it has a totally different frequency set many many MHz away from yours.

If you have a G2 transmitter, Sennheiser UK can change it to match your receiver, but don't expect any change from £100 for them to do this.

Rob Neidig June 28th, 2011 03:28 PM

Andrew,

It very well may be that you have the wrong frequency band as was noted above. Also, is it possible you are using a condenser mic that requires phantom power with the unit? Sennheiser makes one version that does not supply phantom power, and one, which costs quite a bit more, that does.

Rick Reineke June 28th, 2011 04:03 PM

Yes, the input level meter on the transmitter's LCD display should show some activity, and no, the receiver does not need to be on to 'see' this. Have you adjusted the 'Sensitivity' level .. though I doubt that's the main problem.
What make and model number mic are you trying to use? As Rob previously stated:, "it's possible you are using a condenser mic that requires phantom power" The EW100 plug-on transmitter does NOT supply Phantom Pwr. If that's the case, buy a dynamic hand-held mic and you're good to go... providing you have the same frequency block as your receiver, which was also previously stated as a possible issue.

Andrew Prince June 29th, 2011 03:13 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. :-)

The mic model number is SKM 100 G2. I knew about the radio frequency potential problem and I checked out all the different bands before I bought it. My receiver (ENG bodypack) is in band E (833 to 866 MHz). The new mic is the same. I have tuned them by using the frequency setting (as opposed to channel and bank) so I know they are communicating. Here's what I get:

- The RF signal meter is good on the receiver
- The RF light illuminates on the receiver
- The PILOT light is on, on both transmitter and receiver
- There is no AF meter registered on either mic or receiver
- When I mute the mic, the MUTE lights up on the receiver
- I get no audio out of the receiver whether it's muted or not

All the evidence points to the mic being faulty because it doesn't register audio on its own AF meter. The manual says the meter should register on the mic even if it's muted, so you can get a level. I have tried all three (0dB, -10dB and -20dB) sensitivity settings and that makes no difference. I would say the mic capsule isn't connected to the radio transmitter.

The question is, is this a common fault and is it worth fixing? The seller on eBay has since emailed me to say I can get it repaired if it's not too expensive and bill him for the repair, or send it back for a full refund including P&P refund. If I can get a refund on the UK import duty, I'm okay. If not, I've lost 37 UK pounds. I guess I'm just wondering if it's a common fault I could repair it myself and if it's an expensive fault, it needs to go back.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Gary Nattrass June 29th, 2011 04:44 AM

As John says a repair may be quite costly, you can currently get the full G2 handheld system from china for around £120 so may be worth sending it back for a refund and getting one of these: Sennheiser? NEW EW135G2 wireless microphone EW135G2 | eBay UK
Also from here and in white if needed: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/juguotongqing...id=p4340.l2562
or here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sennheiser-wir...ht_2450wt_1398

Are these genuine? well there seem to be quite a few of them for sale and if there is a problem you can ask e-bay for a refund. I have bought several pro items from china at discount prices and have never been unhappy with the items received, there are also cheap panasonic camera mics here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_941wt_1165
(offer $75 for those as that is what they seem to accept)

John Willett June 29th, 2011 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Neidig (Post 1662575)
Andrew,

It very well may be that you have the wrong frequency band as was noted above. Also, is it possible you are using a condenser mic that requires phantom power with the unit? Sennheiser makes one version that does not supply phantom power, and one, which costs quite a bit more, that does.

I understood from the OP that he had bought the SKM 100 handheld transmitter complete.

Andrew Prince June 29th, 2011 05:10 AM

Indeed, I literally bought only the SKM 100 handheld mic (band E) and the clip. I already have an EW 100 G2 system with two bodypack units (TX and RX) which I use with a lapel mic and clip the RX unit to my camera.

I've been doing more research. It seems I can claim the duty back here:

HM Revenue & Customs

The seller will take the unit back and refund the full cost plus shipping charges (great international seller, albeit the unit was broken in transit). That means I'll only have lost the Parcelforce handling charge which was 13 UK Pounds. I consider that a lucky break considering. :-)

Thanks for all your help guys.

Regards,

Andrew
Carillon Video

John Willett June 29th, 2011 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Prince (Post 1662774)
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. :-)

The mic model number is SKM 100 G2. I knew about the radio frequency potential problem and I checked out all the different bands before I bought it. My receiver (ENG bodypack) is in band E (833 to 866 MHz). The new mic is the same. I have tuned them by using the frequency setting (as opposed to channel and bank) so I know they are communicating. Here's what I get:

- The RF signal meter is good on the receiver
- The RF light illuminates on the receiver
- The PILOT light is on, on both transmitter and receiver
- There is no AF meter registered on either mic or receiver
- When I mute the mic, the MUTE lights up on the receiver
- I get no audio out of the receiver whether it's muted or not

All the evidence points to the mic being faulty because it doesn't register audio on its own AF meter. The manual says the meter should register on the mic even if it's muted, so you can get a level. I have tried all three (0dB, -10dB and -20dB) sensitivity settings and that makes no difference. I would say the mic capsule isn't connected to the radio transmitter.

The question is, is this a common fault and is it worth fixing? The seller on eBay has since emailed me to say I can get it repaired if it's not too expensive and bill him for the repair, or send it back for a full refund including P&P refund. If I can get a refund on the UK import duty, I'm okay. If not, I've lost 37 UK pounds. I guess I'm just wondering if it's a common fault I could repair it myself and if it's an expensive fault, it needs to go back.

Kind regards,

Andrew

OK.

Double check that both transmitter and receiver are set to exactly the same frequency.

I would also check that the plug-in mic. capsule is properly seated - try doing this:
  • Unscrew the basket windshield
  • Unscrew the body as if to change the batteries
  • Just above the battery container is a silver screw - remove this (it holds in the mic. capsule)
  • then pull out the microphone (it's a plug-in module)
  • Then do it all in reverse - and plug the mic. back in and do it all up again
If the capsule is glued in and has cables on the back, then the transmitter is a fake and should be returned to the seller and reported to the police.

If all checks show that everything is good and it's still not working, then send it to Sennheiser UK for repair. They do a standard service charge on evolution which is £65 +VAT whatever the problem is. So you know what it will cost you (though I would check with the seller first before you do this if he is going to pay).

I hope this helps.

Though It surprises me that anyone in the US would have a version E unit as it is illegal over there.

Andrew Prince June 29th, 2011 09:44 AM

John,

That's the exact information I was hoping to get. Thanks very much! :-)

Kind regards,

Andrew
Carillon Video - Professional Wedding Videographer & Wedding Video Production Services in Bolton, Manchester & all over the UK