DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Azden 330LT vs ew100 sennheiser (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/497808-azden-330lt-vs-ew100-sennheiser.html)

David Aliperti June 29th, 2011 03:20 AM

Azden 330LT vs ew100 sennheiser

I want to buy something better then sennheiser ew100 evolution system, that i am using now, to feed audio to camera, and as lavalier system, recevier has to be stereo (dual mono) and with diversity antenna,

i have just read about this azden products and seems to be very interesting, is anyone of you using it? are do they represent a real quality leap respect ew 100 sennheiser?

Steve House June 29th, 2011 04:51 AM

Re: Azden 330LT vs ew100 sennheiser

Friends don't let friends buy Azden. Their reputation is not the most stellar and the Sennheiser is generally considered the superior unit. The next step up the ladder from the Senn would be Lectrosonic.

John Willett June 29th, 2011 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Aliperti (Post 1662776)
I want to buy something better then sennheiser ew100 evolution system, that i am using now, to feed audio to camera, and as lavalier system, recevier has to be stereo (dual mono) and with diversity antenna,

i have just read about this azden products and seems to be very interesting, is anyone of you using it? are do they represent a real quality leap respect ew 100 sennheiser?

Yes - a step down I would say.

The ew G3 series, at it's price, is about the best around and you have to spend considerably more to get any better.

Better than 100 series G3 is Sennheiser 2000 series, 3000 series, Lectro, Audio Ltd., etc.

But when the Institute of Broadcast Sound dis a range check on various radiomics - UK channel 38 (top end of evolution band G) - including Audio Ltd., Lectro, Zaxcom, Micron, Sennheiser 5000 series, Sennheiser G3 and several more - the cheapest unit, the Sennheiser G3 actually came out top of the range test yto everyone's surprise. I thought the Audio Ltd. would be best, it wasn't. Lectro was OK, but not as good as the G3, though when the Lectro did drop out it did not do it in a nasty way as some others did.

The Azden is about half the price per channel as the ew 100 G3 series and as the G3 is the best in the price bracket I think you will have quite a quality drop with the Azden. The only thing nice about teh Azden is that it has two receivers in a receiver body to take two transmitters at once. I think I would prefer to have two receivers at a higher quality than have the convenience at lower quality.

Don Bloom June 29th, 2011 05:00 AM

I used to use Azden 500Us systems which at the time were consideded to be the best they had to offer and while I used them for a long time and had no problems with them I can not nor would I say they are better than Sennheiser, Audio Technica or any other system I've used over the years. IMO they would not be a step up but more of a lateral step. You want to improve the audio, start with mics for the Sennheiser system you currently have, or be prepared to spend some money on Lectrosonics or Traxcom systems.
Sennheiser, AT, Sony are IMO all pretty equal in both build and sound quality (all things being equal like mic choice, distance from transmitter to receiver, clear line of site etc)even the Lectro 100 series isn't really a big gain today. You'd need to step up to the 400 series to hear the BIG jump in quality. Again, this is subjective and depends on exactly what you need the systems for, the mics you're using and the conditions you're using it/them in.
For me the AT dual channel receiver with works very very well but I'm not using the stock mics either. I use Countryman EMW mics because for me they filled the bill. Of course so would Sanken COS11s but at considerablly higher cost.
Frankly unless you are willing to step up in money I would keep what you have, the Azden isn't going to be the giant step in quality you might be hoping for.
Of course this is all just my opinion which can be and generally is ignored by 99.9% of all people and pets.
O|O
\--/

David Aliperti June 29th, 2011 04:09 PM

thanks to all of you for replying

I have 4 sennheiser evolution ew100, 2 of them i use to send audio to camera the other two are with sanken cos 11 capsule as lavalier sistem,
i wanted something more powerful then 25 mw, with diversity receiver,
I would spend around 1000 $/€ also to start at least with one channel fwith the lavalier sanken capsule.

David Aliperti June 30th, 2011 12:08 AM

i have just got an interesting advice on dv forum, purchase trasnmitters sennhieser series 2000, i would get an improved general performance, more tx power, frequency range etc, they could work with sennhieser ew 100 g2 receiver, and latter I 'll buy receivers too.

Colin McDonald June 30th, 2011 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 1662791)
But when the Institute of Broadcast Sound dis a range check on various radiomics - UK channel 38 (top end of evolution band G) - including Audio Ltd., Lectro, Zaxcom, Micron, Sennheiser 5000 series, Sennheiser G3 and several more - the cheapest unit, the Sennheiser G3 actually came out top of the range test to everyone's surprise.

Even the G2 had an astonishing range. Here's a photo of a line of sight test I did a couple of years ago, using a G2 set to catch the merry sounds of day visitors at a viewpoint.
The transmitter is outside on the balcony of the building with the little red circle round it in the full size image. The distance involved was at least 800m and the signal was rock steady provided the alignment was kept (it began to break up it the camera rig was panned more than 45 degrees but on a repeat test with more sensible vertical aerials, it didn't break up at all).

John Willett June 30th, 2011 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1663321)
Even the G2 had an astonishing range. Here's a photo of a line of sight test I did a couple of years ago, using a G2 set to catch the merry sounds of day visitors at a viewpoint.
The transmitter is outside on the balcony of the building with the little red circle round it in the full size image. The distance involved was at least 800m and the signal was rock steady provided the alignment was kept (it began to break up it the camera rig was panned more than 45 degrees but on a repeat test with more sensible vertical aerials, it didn't break up at all).

Looks like Portmerion to me - were you doing a re-make of "The Prisoner"?

Colin McDonald June 30th, 2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Looks like Portmerion to me - were you doing a re-make of "The Prisoner"?
Questions are a burden to others...
Information - information - information! You'll not get it.