using 2 microphones on the mzs 20-1 pistol grip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

using 2 microphones on the mzs 20-1 pistol grip

I have a mkh416 on a sennheiser pistol grip mzs 20, i need to put in same wind shield kit, so on mzs 20 a mkh 30 with the 416,
i was wondering if i have to purchase a new suspension or can i find just some spare parts to fix two microphones.

thanks
David Aliperti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:15 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: using 2 microphones on the mzs 20-1 pistol grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aliperti View Post
I have a mkh416 on a sennheiser pistol grip mzs 20, i need to put in same wind shield kit, so on mzs 20 a mkh 30 with the 416,
i was wondering if i have to purchase a new suspension or can i find just some spare parts to fix two microphones.
I certainly used to run and MKH 30 and 40 - clipped together with the MZD 30 - like this.

But it was not ideal as the basket was too small in diameter and the upper mic. was too near the edge.

If you want to do it like this, then you will need a pair of the new back-to-back clips from Rycote (these will hold any diameter from 19mm to 25mm including the square-sided MKH 30). These are the only clips that will work.

But this is not really good.

It's best to get a Rycote stereo windshield and ConnBox designed for the task.

Rycote's new design for the suspension was a suggestion put to them by me when I decided to replace the horrible rubber O-rings with the much better Lyre suspensions. I modified my own one and Rycote liked it so much they started using it as their standard design. The bonus is that it's quite a bit cheaper than the hoops and rubber O-rings.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

how do i fix the MZD 30 on mzs 20, or can I get 2 back to back rycote clips and fix them on mzs 20, ill use mkh 416 or mkh 30 or both when i need ?
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I certainly used to run and MKH 30 and 40 - clipped together with the MZD 30 - like this.

But it was not ideal as the basket was too small in diameter and the upper mic. was too near the edge.

If you want to do it like this, then you will need a pair of the new back-to-back clips from Rycote (these will hold any diameter from 19mm to 25mm including the square-sided MKH 30). These are the only clips that will work.

But this is not really good.

It's best to get a Rycote stereo windshield and ConnBox designed for the task.

Rycote's new design for the suspension was a suggestion put to them by me when I decided to replace the horrible rubber O-rings with the much better Lyre suspensions. I modified my own one and Rycote liked it so much they started using it as their standard design. The bonus is that it's quite a bit cheaper than the hoops and rubber O-rings.
thanks john, i ordered 2 rycote back to back clips ill see how it works in my mzs 20,
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
how do i fix the MZD 30 on mzs 20, or can I get 2 back to back rycote clips and fix them on mzs 20, ill use mkh 416 or mkh 30 or both when i need ?
You don't - with my MKH 30/40 I clipped the MKH 30 into the mount, clipped the MZD 30 to the MKH 30 and then clipped the MKH 40 into the MZD 30.

But the 416 is only 19mm diameter, so it won't work.

With this combination you need the two Rycote back-to-back clips which fit both the 19mm MKH 40 and the 25mm square-sided MKH 30.
Old July 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

yes, i bought the he two Rycote back-to-back clips, but anyay ill buy a rycote Stereo WS Kit AG kit, but their site is confusing, they don't have a detailed description of single item, i need one STEREO kit that fits vp88, mkh416/mkh30 , mkh40/30
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
yes, i bought the he two Rycote back-to-back clips, but anyay ill buy a rycote Stereo WS Kit AG kit, but their site is confusing, they don't have a detailed description of single item, i need one STEREO kit that fits vp88, mkh416/mkh30 , mkh40/30
This is what Rycote recommend:-

The WS Kit AG (080201) should suit both stereo combination MKH 416 / MKH30 - MKH 30/40 - though the suspension might be a little stiff for the MKH30/40 combination, as it is much lighter than the 416, for which Rycote recommend stiffer Lyres to support the weight.

The Shure VP88 needs a slightly different suspension, as it requires 30mm grey Lyres on risers (so it is centred in the basket) - instead of the 19/25 mm Lyres fitted to support the MKH 416 and MKH 30.

The alternative option would be to purchase the WS Kit AG, together with a Lyre cradle upgrade and some risers so you can adjust the height of your mics inside the basket).
This Lyre cradle is very similar to a Softie Lyre mount and would be able to support any of the mics.

Large Mic Cradle Upgrade: 040121
1 X set of 20mm Stereo risers
WS Kit AG: 080201

However, as the lyres for the 416/30 combination are stiffer than for the 30/40, I would add to this list the correct lyres for the 30/40 as well.

I hope this answers you OK.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio