Mounting a Juicedlink Box to DSLR and Tripod? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 7th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Mounting a Juicedlink Box to DSLR and Tripod?

Sorry for the really basic question. I just bought a Juicedlink CX231 and love the sound! I am trying to mount it underneath a Canon T2i, and put it on a Manfrotto 501hdv head. When I screw the juicedlink into the T2i, there is a tiny white plastic peg next to the JL mount that is preventing the T2i from screwing all the way in, which makes it extremely flimsy. Additional, I have a quick release plate for the Manfrotto tripod, but that will not screw underneath the JL box because the QR plate also has a tiny metal peg that does not push down. Are there ways around these two issues? Am I missing something?
Old July 7th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Mounting a Juicedlink Box to DSLR and Tripod?

The white pin on the JuicedLink can be removed, just unscrew it with some pliers and it comes off easily.

Don't know about the quick release plate pin, some are removable and some can be simply pushed down when you screw the camera on top.
Iker Riera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Great - thank you!
Old July 9th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Trustee

Plastic "pin" is intended as a center alignment aid

The Plastic "pin" you're talking about is intended for use in aligning the JuicedLink along the axis with the camera.

At least for a video camera, there is standardly a hole in it's base along the centerline axis with the tripod screw mount, or in this case, the JuicedLink screw mount. Maybe a DSLR doesn't have such a centering hole.

Recommendation: if you remove the plastic centering "thing" be sure to keep really good track of it and don't loose it. Mine got sheared off and to order a new one cost a small fortune, first an exorbitant and ridiculous amount for the part, then for the handling charge, and again for the shipping charge.

It happened that I have a box of plastic/nylon screws of various thread types (metric & english) and found one that would work. It is important not to use a metal screw because there is a circuit board inside it could come in contact with. Secondly, it's important not to use a screw that is too long because it could damage the circuit board.

A good designer would have provided a hole in the circuit board there and avoided having any electrical conductors or items there but not being a particularly high volume item it was probably an "oops", hence the custom plastic thingey they came up with.

To prevent skidding between the JuicedLink and the camera I used a scrap of that kinda rubberized anti-skid place mat between the two. It also protects the finish and the writing on the surfaces of the two items.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Michael,

I'm curious, did you ever find a solution to the pin on your quick release plate? I have four of those plates and the pin simply pushes down on all of them.

Phil
Phil Murray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio