Seenheiser 112 G3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 14th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Seenheiser 112 G3

Hi All,

Looking to purchase a wireless mic set (Sennheiser EF112 G3).

As the frequency bands are changing towards the end of 2012, can i ask what people are doing with existing setups.

Firstly is UK & Ireland treated same? If I get 863 - 865, just how future proofed am I, and what is the quality like on these frequencies. I understand these are licence free, but just wondering if there is a specific band of model that i should be getting.

Thanks
Joe Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Seenheiser 112 G3

Northern Ireland will be the same as Great Britain as it's all part of the UK.

I cannot say about the Republic of Ireland - I don't know.

863-865MHz will remain de-regulated and licence-free all over Europe and is not affected by the frequency changes in this way. However, I am hearing that these frequencies could suffer from high levels of interference when the new owner of the channel 60-69 frequencies starts transmitting.
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks John,

Do you mind me asking what audio setup you have, and how you're handling the transition to channel 38?

I'm concerned about the audio quality on 863 - 865 Mhz & just wondering if it is worth going for channel 38 compatible devices, which I may need to purchase a licence for.

Am i correct in saying that I should stay away from the old frequency range E, and opt for the EW 112 G3 GB (606 - 614)

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Thompson View Post
Thanks John,

Do you mind me asking what audio setup you have, and how you're handling the transition to channel 38?

I'm concerned about the audio quality on 863 - 865 Mhz & just wondering if it is worth going for channel 38 compatible devices, which I may need to purchase a licence for.

Am i correct in saying that I should stay away from the old frequency range E, and opt for the EW 112 G3 GB (606 - 614)

Thanks,

Joe
Hi Joe,

Although I know lots about radiomics (I used to work for a manufacturer, have sat in on international regulation committees and am on the Executive Committee of the Institute of Broadcast Sound) I don't actually use them much as most of my recording I can do with wired mics.

Yes - G3, version GB is the one for Ch.38 and it wil also do Ch.39, 40, 41 and a bit of 42.

But you will need to check that this is OK south of the border in Eire. You need to pay for a licence in the UK and you will, almost definitely, also require a licence in Eire.

863-865MHz (G3 version E) will remain legal and licence-free, but I am very worried about interference when the new mobile broadband channels get going.
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The Republic of Ireland is broadly harmonised with the UK, so their current allocations are the same as the UK, and they have also opened up channel 38.
details here
http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/pub...mReg0808R1.pdf

So if you wish to be away from the chaos and potential for interference (not audio quality) buying kit for 38 seem the safest bet. It's also more expensive, but this should mean that Dave Double Decks will continue to buy the cheaper kit and keep out of our way! Sennheiser were not all gloom and doom about what will happen in 70, but had been collecting information on what new occupiers of channel 69 would be doing, and their opinion was clearly that ch 70 cannot be guaranteed to be totally safe. Highish power devices in peoples pockets very near the receivers on channel 70? Telecoms manufacturers have not been too good at retaining decent filtering on their equipment, because it does not impede operation if it is removed for economy reasons, so if they spread a bit into ch 70, I can't see them being too bothered.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:01 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
The Republic of Ireland is broadly harmonised with the UK, so their current allocations are the same as the UK, and they have also opened up channel 38.
details here
http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/pub...mReg0808R1.pdf

So if you wish to be away from the chaos and potential for interference (not audio quality) buying kit for 38 seem the safest bet. It's also more expensive, but this should mean that Dave Double Decks will continue to buy the cheaper kit and keep out of our way! Sennheiser were not all gloom and doom about what will happen in 70, but had been collecting information on what new occupiers of channel 69 would be doing, and their opinion was clearly that ch 70 cannot be guaranteed to be totally safe. Highish power devices in peoples pockets very near the receivers on channel 70? Telecoms manufacturers have not been too good at retaining decent filtering on their equipment, because it does not impede operation if it is removed for economy reasons, so if they spread a bit into ch 70, I can't see them being too bothered.
G3 at Ch.38 is exactly the same price as Ch.69 and 70.

It's not more expensive to get Ch.38 gear.

Though the nice thing is with G3 version "GB" is that it is also legal in the USA. Version GB is Channels 38, 39, 40, 41 and some of 42. You can, I think, use 39, 40, 41 and 42 in the US (the frequencies in Ch.38 must not be used in the US as they are radio astronomy frequencies - but the rest are OK).

NB: Channel numbees above refer to the 8MHz PAL/SECAM channels and are different numbers from the 6MHz NTSC channel numbers used in the US.
Old July 16th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks John, paul,

The attachment was exactly what I was after, and section 2.2.2 appears to answer my concerns over licencing and using channel 38 with the Sennheiser EW112 G3 GB

2.2.2 Licence-Exempt Operation
It is also worth noting that there are a large number of radio systems which are exempt from licensing in Ireland. Licence-exempt equipment shares radio spectrum with other radio devices and is restricted to low output power for use over short distances. It is not permitted for licence-exempt equipment to cause interference to other devices. In addition, operators of such equipment are not entitled to claim protection from any interference received.
Examples of short range radio systems used at special events, for which licence-exempt operation is available in specific frequency bands and under specific conditions include:

Wireless microphones and audio systems;
Walkie-talkies (PMR 446);
and Wireless CCTV links.
Joe Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio