Carpet noise... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 20th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Trustee

Carpet noise...

In recordings I have done in the last couple of weeks in my studio...using a boom mic aimed at about 45 degrees down and at my mouth...and a Pin Mic, I've noticed a noise periodically in the recordings of what sounds exactly like me moving my feet on the carpet on the floor...and therefore assume that is what the noise it. It's not very loud but is there...discernable sometimes when I'm not speaking.

The boom mic wouldn't be too far off aimed right my feet - though a lot further away than my mouth is.

Has anyone had this issue before, and if so what solutions did you come up with to solve it? I've thought of trialling stuff put on top of the carpet, to wearing smooth socks only, to trying to remove the sound in post with SoundSoap...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Carpet noise...

But you didn't mention whether you WERE actually moving your feet on the carpet at the time? (And why?) There are other sources of noise (both acoustic and electronic) that might sound similar to that.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Trustee

If the boom mic is aimed at your mouth, and is facing downward at a 45 degree angle, then it is aimed roughly 5 feet (i.e. 60 inches) behind your feet (i.e. the terminal parts of your legs). Unless you are seated, in which case it might be picking up some other source of noise.

Mark my words: this will turn into a six-page thread about where to buy noise-free socks in NZ.

Last edited by Greg Miller; July 20th, 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Trustee

Some people's feet definitely do hum a bit.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #5
Trustee

I'm sitting down and have found the video is more interesting if I move around a bit/being more animated...which involves moving my feet and rearranging my butt on the seat. There's no way of knowing whether I was moving my feet at any of these precise moments but as the sound is the same, I assume I was.

The sound is a sort of (here goes!!!) sshhhsshh...with maybe more s's or h's... :-) ...definitely not a hum... :-)

Perhaps if I could levitate that would solve it...
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It could also be clothing rustle when you move. Is it on both the boom track and the pin mic track?
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Balla View Post
It could also be clothing rustle when you move. Is it on both the boom track and the pin mic track?
I haven't checked if it is on both tracks. Will do. I've taped a loop in the pinmic cable to limit possible movement. Don't know if it is really necessary but thought I would do it anyway.
Old July 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeah, check the individual tracks first to see if it only on one or both. If it is on both due to your feet moving on the carpet, does it occur while you are speaking or only between lines of dialogue? If its only between lines, you could easily cut it out and lay in some room tone. If it is occurring simultaneously with the dialogue, you could try using some low background music to mask it, if that works with your production.
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Trustee

To try and 'solve' the problem (which is quite minor...I've just been through two more takes this morning and I didn't hear any noise that bothered me) I 'thought' I may try putting some vinyl floor covering (I have some) under my feet and wearing socks only...
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Sounds like a plan, can't see how you could generate much, if any, noise with socks on vinyl.

Let us know how it works out.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

A number of polarizing off-topic posts in this thread have been withdrawn from public view.

If you feel the need to postulate about certain topics which fall outside the realm of digital
video technology and creative techniques, then please by all means post those topics to
*your own* blog / site / forum / whatever. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Before you go investigating too far, examine skin/stubble rubbing on shirt collar or shirt collar gently rubbing on jacket collar with throat and jaw movements.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 24th, 2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #13
Trustee

I also wonder whether you might be generating some static electricity, which then discharges to ground by creating a small arc from your body or clothing, which then jumps to the grounded case of the pin mic. But in that case, I'd think the noise would all be on the pin mic track, and not picked up on the boom.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio