Microphone necklace? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 10th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Microphone necklace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lee View Post
I'm doing depositions and often the girls come in with really floppy collars. You know the drill. The Lapel mic travels around and flops all over.

So whats that thing called that you wrap around their neck like a necklace? Googled that but no joy.
Sure, I guess I could use a piece of string, but wanted something correct for the application? Is there such an item?

Thanks,
GLB
Don't clip the mic to the collar, clip it on the button line over the sternum in the centre of the chest. Between rthe second and third button down, starting with the collar button, is usually just about right.
Old August 10th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
I better correct and clarify my question. I have a very good lapel mic. I'm not looking to buy another mic. I just wanted something like a necklace to hang it on. I thought there might be a professional looking something instead of a shoestring.
Although that is a good suggestion if you pros are using it.. it may have to be the route...

I was hoping there would be something with the mic holder built into it like the alligator clip that comes with the lapel. and a fast connector on the top.. I know its a very narrow market.

Thanks,
GLB
You want the Sennheiser MZM 2 + MZM 10 - article number 001866.

This is a magnetic mount that hangs round the neck on a cord with a clip that holds the microphone - it sticks to the backplate by magnetic force through clothes.

Attached Images

Old August 10th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Good info and discussion guys. Looks like the nametag/necklace combined with the milk carton square idea has the best promise for my application. I should be able to rig something up with that concept.

I had 3 different people in a row on Monday. All with different types collars. The girl had a pullover flimsy thing with a floppy neck line. That was the biggest challenge. I abandoned the lapel mic channel with her due to the flopping around of the mic, which after her flippin around of her hair was pointed straight down at the end, and used my NTG2 (which I use for a backup) that was pointed right at her.

With my own necklace rig, I could have much more control over the mic no matter what clothing they wear. Quick connect as they take breaks sometimes. That's what I'm after. Controlling my own destiny.

Thanks, good discussion
GLB
Gary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I still don't know why your fastening the mic to the collar in the first place. That's just not the optimum position ... mechanical stability aside, it's going to be too high in the throat. Make a fist and place it on the sternum with your thumb touching the base of your throat under the Adam's Apple. Your pinky finger will fall at the level where the lav should be positioned, clipped either to the button placket, to a necktie, or to the lapel if the talent is wearing a suit jacket. In other words, where a vertical line drawn down the centre of the chest crosses the nipple line
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #20
Regular Crew

You're in a perfect world Steve. The one I inhabit is not perfect. Like when the girl comes in with the type of blouse that I have been describing. There's no buttons and no collar. It just flops all over the place. Theres this part that "looked" like a collar and thats where I clipped it.
I wasn't about to pinch a bunch of her blouse up and clip it it the "perfect" location. I am just looking for someplace that wont fall off,,,, at that point. Which really led me up to this post for help.
I'd like to NOT depend on anything but MY equipment for the correct placement.

I can clue you in on this about depositions. They people that hire me don't care about the perfect placement nor the perfect sound. (my conversations with the court reporters tell me they often don't even look at the videos when done. Its litigation and they settle)
They ALSO have the benefit of the typed transcript to follow along.
I'm no lawyer but my guess is that they may be looking for how the person reacts to certain types of questions from a visual sense and use video to make them nervous.. Again, I really don't know. I just do this for a hobby and happen to get paid.

ANYHOW !!!! I get your point. I'm all about getting the best sound.!!!! That's why I lurk on this forum... Been reading it for years... I hardly ask a question because you guys usually have it covered almost each time I read here. LOL

Thanks again,
GLB
Old August 10th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Gary,
I'm just asking this because I don't know since I've done a grand total of 1 depo in my life and that had to be about 15 years ago but would it be possible to use a boom mic say a hypercaroid over the subject rather than a lav?
Just curious.
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #22
Regular Crew

That's the way I like to go for sit down interviews. Hypercardioid on a boom pole, mounted to a c-stand, and positioned properly above the speaker. No worries with that setup.
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #23
Regular Crew

This is only me talking. I have a total of maybe 15 depos under my belt so I'm not an expert, just accomplished. And from what the court reporters tell me, the most professional in my area. Although I don't know how.

It could be because I try to make as little an impact on the whole deal as I can. That means no tape changes and no battery changes. I tell the lawyer they can go until they want to stop. Of course my cards last about 3 hours on my HMC40 and they will always break before that.

IMO, a boom pole sitting there is an impact, especially for the deposed. I had one with me the other day and considered using it but I found a desk perfectly at the right level. I just don't want to intimidate the person answering the questions any more than the camera already is.
The deposed will usually forget about the lapel mic until they get up. HA. I use a AT831b lapel mic on the deposed. It sounds so good on the headphones when I;m sitting there.
I use a NTG2 (that mic is the bomb as you all well know) on a desk usually for the guy asking the questions. They tend to move around so much, back and forth, shuffling papers and when they take breaks, its easy to only manage the deposed on a lapel.
Then I use 2 other omni mics for the room. The other lawyers rarely say anything so I keep them turned down until they ask something, which is rare.

But I think the necklace DIY gizmo is going to be the ticket. I can get the 831b in the right location (like Steve says) EVERY time and with a quick snap, I can remove it.

I have another depo at the end of the month and I'll post a picture of the gizmo (not on the subject, of course) and let you guys know how it worked for me..

GLB
Old August 11th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
You're in a perfect world Steve. The one I inhabit is not perfect. Like when the girl comes in with the type of blouse that I have been describing. There's no buttons and no collar. It just flops all over the place.
The "perfect place" is tucked between the breasts inside the bra.

Any professional is well used to sound people delving in there - just be polite and let her do it herself if necessary, with your guidance.
Old August 11th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The "perfect place" is tucked between the breasts inside the bra.
You mean like this? http://www.wallpapers4desktop.net/_p.../777342873.jpg
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Most effective job of hiding a mic I've ever seen! No matter how hard I look I can't see it. Where's IS that mic in the shot?

Last edited by Steve House; August 11th, 2011 at 09:31 AM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #27
Trustee

Now we know why it's called an "SM"58.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #28
Trustee

I thought that was a DD58...
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #29
Major Player

Everybody talking about using a boom, "professionals" being used to mics placed under their clothing, and the like, need to read carefully that he is talking about legal depositions here, not sit-down interviews. All those points are valid for an interview, not so much for a depo. Having done hundreds, I can tell you no one will be happy if you try to boom anything. And most deponents and their attorneys would not be happy if you are putting your hands down their bra. Clipping it to the best spot available and using a bit of milk carton as someone suggested, or an old credit card (or one of the "fake" credit cards that some companies send you in their attempt to get you to apply for one), is about the best you can do.

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #30
Trustee

I don't do deposition work personally, but if I did, I'd go out and buy an Anchor Audio Delegate 100 or even the cheaper version from someone else (I've seen similar units on the web for under $30!) and just stick it on the table in front of the deputee.

Problem totally solved. No complex rigging, everyone knows there's a mic there. The vocal quality would be clear as a bell and it can be instantly muted if any of the attorneys so require.

Sometimes I think people really over-solve simple stuff.

My 2 cents anyway.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio