Umbrella as supplementary wind shield? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 24th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #1
Trustee

Umbrella as supplementary wind shield?

I am going to be using an AT4073a with a Rycote at the beach. I can not afford an industrial-strength windshield, so I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to use an umbrella or other obstacle in addition to Rycote, between the mic and the wind? I imagine this would color the sound, but would it be worse than the effect of the wind? I will try to conduct a test of my own, but appreciate I your input.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #2
New Boot

I have tried this and other methods...

really the simple answer I came to was NO. I tried umbrellas, coats and blankets, always the wind seemed to just creep around the object and disturb the mic, plus it was awkward to use, got in the shot sometimes and a pain to hold along with the boompole. So I knuckled down and bought a Softie by Rycote, it works in most winds and in high winds does a good job too.
Rob Dunford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Would an umbrella further increase the effectiveness of the rycote?
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

the noise of the wind over the umbrella is far worse that the direct wind on the rycotte. solution would be to use some heavy material to build a deflector between the mic and the wind but far from the mic of at least 10 feet.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Trustee

Try renting the Rycote heavy wind shield. Probably cost 15 buck or less for the day
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Major Player

The 4073a is a hot mic. The extra sensitivity and high output which can be a blessing and a joy can also be a headache in wind.

I was using one this weekend in moderate winds and the Rycote had long been abandoned in favor of a blimp, and even then I was fighting wind rumble. Low cutout was no comfort.

In the end I sacrificed my high end (was diaglogue being recorded and a single line in the take) and beat the wind noise by putting a deadcat on the mic INSIDE the blimp and then another one on the blimp itself. It did pretty well kill the highs though.

Prior to that attempts to shield it were fruitless.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

When using a shotgun with its wind jammer, always try and work side on to the direction the wind is coming from.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Most objects will only cause more turbulence, which will cause yet more noise.

If you had a solid, teardrop-shaped item that would smoothly re-direct the wind, it might work, but then you'd get the resonance of being inside a large teardrop-shaped item...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio