DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   3D microphone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/499483-3d-microphone.html)

Brian P. Reynolds August 11th, 2011 04:19 AM

3D microphone

Has any one bought, used, trialed one of these 3D Microphones? ..... Looks interesting

3D Mic Pro

John Willett August 11th, 2011 05:20 AM

Re: 3D microphone

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds (Post 1674227)
Has any one bought, used, trialed one of these 3D Microphones? ..... Looks interesting

3D Mic Pro

This thing is popping up on various forums at the moment.

It appears to be a dummy head without the dummy head - just artificial ears at head reference distance.

Which, as far as I can see, defeats the object.

Personally - if I wanted a small and flesible surround system I would go for the Soundfield SPS200 that easily fits on a camera - or the ST450 if you can afford the extra cash.

Or maybe the DPA 5100.

Brian P. Reynolds August 11th, 2011 05:40 AM

I was just looking at the mic for some extreme commercial radio production... just something different that would work for car radios and in-ear listening. Doesn't need to be precise, perfect or accurate just audience grabbing.
I have considered 5.1 mics but the format I'm working in is just Stereo FM commercial radio.

Steve House August 11th, 2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds (Post 1674235)
I was just looking at the mic for some extreme commercial radio production... just something different that would work for car radios and in-ear listening. Doesn't need to be precise, perfect or accurate just audience grabbing.
I have considered 5.1 mics but the format I'm working in is just Stereo FM commercial radio.

The spoken word is by its nature a single point source, recording it in stereo, or especially in surround, makes no sense what so ever. There is no '3D' left/right front/back spatial dimension to it. It's a unity source located at one specific point in space. A good mono microphone that flatters the speaker's voice is what you should be looking for. If you're looking for that 'radio sound,' probably more studios in North America are equipped with an ElectroVoice RE-20 than any other single mic. Record a single mono track and once in post pan it equally to the left and right channels in the final stereo soundtrack so it appears in the center of the stereo image, or if you want it off centre adjust the pan to place it at the desired location.

Andrew Smith August 16th, 2011 04:10 AM

I remember when I first started doing radio stuff and a stereo microphone seemed to be a great idea since we were broadcasting in stereo. But I soon learned to understand the mono thing.

If you did want to record voice in a stereo field, you might as well record using a Zoom H1 which is scary-good when it comes to the quality of the recording for the money that you pay for it.

Andrew

Andrew Smith August 16th, 2011 04:51 AM

Just been looking at the web site for it and the accompanying examples. I don't think it's a quantum leap in audio goodness. Doesn't do it for me.

That and I could really look like a right twat if I had it mounted on top of my camera.

Andrew

Robin Davies-Rollinson August 16th, 2011 05:22 AM

Nothing new about binaural recording.
It's based on trying to emulate the acoustics as "heard" by a human head.
If you want to look a real twat, youi could try mounting this on your camera :-)

VintageMicrophone.com > Neumann KU 100 Binaural Dummy head Stereo Microphone

John Willett August 16th, 2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson (Post 1675390)
Nothing new about binaural recording.
It's based on trying to emulate the acoustics as "heard" by a human head.
If you want to look a real twat, youi could try mounting this on your camera :-)

VintageMicrophone.com > Neumann KU 100 Binaural Dummy head Stereo Microphone

But it's not really "binaural" as there is no head - and you need the head for the blocking effect.

Robin Davies-Rollinson August 16th, 2011 07:27 AM

I agree with you entirely John - which is why I provided the link.
The makers of the "3-D" mic referred to it as providing a binaural experience...

Jim Andrada August 16th, 2011 11:16 AM

Does sort of look like a caged version of something you'd buy in an adult specialty store. Wonder if it has any additional functions they're not alluding to.