Rycote S-Series Windshield Demo and Shootout against the Rode Blimp - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Rycote S-Series Windshield Demo and Shootout against the Rode Blimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
I use the Full windshield kit 4 and am very happy with the performance. The only problem is while travelling in flight, the security guys often insist on removing and showing the microphone. It has happened a number of times. So I reach a bit early to compensate for this. The s-series kit is easier to dismantle.

I am not sure about effectiveness between the s-series and the full kit. May be John Willet can confirm. Any idea John?
The S-series is not as good as the full kit - it's half the price.

But it does not fall that far short of the full kit. The suspension is basically the same, the diameter is about the same, but the Windjammer fur is shorter.

In most cases you won't notice the difference I think.

But - personally - I never travel with the mic. in the shockmount; it always travels packed separately.
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #17
Major Player

[QUOTE=John Willett;1682027
But - personally - I never travel with the mic. in the shockmount; it always travels packed separately.[/QUOTE]

Thanks John!

Logically it makes sense to pack it separately. I carry it in with me in the flight, so was trying to reduce the number of items in the bag. The sennheiser case for the microphone is nice. Travelling with equipment is becoming increasingly painful.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #18
Major Player

I got the S-series just after this thread, thanks Chad. I've had a chance to use it a few times and like it very much. It seems very well engineered, where they really do make the ounces count.

One place they may have gone too far though was with the sizing. I have a mic that is 1/2"shorter than the max rec'd mic for the S-series size I bought, but that's barely enough wiggle room to avoid having the front or back cables of the mic crash into the endfoam of the zeppelin.

I had to readjust, reassemble, shake test with headphones, a few times until I found just the right positions for mic and cable where the mic won't crash into the zep with handling. Maybe I'll put tape on the mic to indicate the proper position, but for now I'm just keeping the mic inside the zep all the time.

Point being if you change your mic often consider a larger zep length to give yourself some wiggle room and avoid crashes.

Anyway, I'm happy with the purchase and doubt I'd see much more value in the full kit.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:19 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morrow View Post
I got the S-series just after this thread, thanks Chad. I've had a chance to use it a few times and like it very much. It seems very well engineered, where they really do make the ounces count.

One place they may have gone too far though was with the sizing. I have a mic that is 1/2"shorter than the max rec'd mic for the S-series size I bought, but that's barely enough wiggle room to avoid having the front or back cables of the mic crash into the endfoam of the zeppelin.

I had to readjust, reassemble, shake test with headphones, a few times until I found just the right positions for mic and cable where the mic won't crash into the zep with handling. Maybe I'll put tape on the mic to indicate the proper position, but for now I'm just keeping the mic inside the zep all the time.

Point being if you change your mic often consider a larger zep length to give yourself some wiggle room and avoid crashes.

Anyway, I'm happy with the purchase and doubt I'd see much more value in the full kit.
If you are using the longest S-series and the mic. is still tight, try using rt.angled XLRs - or - the XLR without the housing (as a friend of mine does).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio