Yamaha MG166c Mixer. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 13th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Yamaha MG166c Mixer.

This appliance runs off mains power via a 18v 1.2amp cabled transformer pack which supplies via a proprietory plug in the back of the mixer. I have found nothing to indicate if the transformer output is 18vAC or 18vDC.

I am examining the possibility of running it off battery power. If the output is 18vAC, then there is a possibility that the mixer might happily operate on AB or V-Mount DC power of 12-14vDC.

Is anyone doing this.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated on whether the 12-14vDC power can be applied via the 18V socket through the internal rectifier which would be there if the input power is 18vAC.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Yamaha MG166c Mixer.

Hi Bob I have the Yamaha MG 12/4 mixer and the psu has output AC17.5VX2 0.94A written on it so I would assume yours is of similar spec.

Hope this helps and not sure if you could run these off batteries, I tend to use the behringer 1002b if I need a battery mixer or the new twelco ones I have just bought.
Old September 13th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Major Player

According to Yamaha tech page it runs of 35VCT utilizing power supply PA-30 AC adapter.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/downlo..._datasheet.pdf

perhaps yours is different.

Good luck
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thank you Gary and Gerry for your responses. I had been told a long time ago that I could apply DC of about 2/3 of the voltage to the AC input of another unrelated appliance and the the appliance would run as the DC would pass through the rectifier without harming things. If anyone has anything furthur your advice will be most welcome.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #5
Trustee

In theory, you might be able to connect a DC supply in place of the AC transformer. However, figuring out the correct DC voltage is a bit tricky.

To be safe, you'd really want to consult a schematic of the mixer's internal power circuitry.

For example, although the AC transformer is a center tapped type, you don't know whether it's really used internally with a center tapped configuration. It might be used in a dual-voltage configuration, with one of the transformer end windings connected to mixer ground (not the most common supply, but a possibility nevertheless).

If you don't have access to the schematic, or don't understand the various power supply configurations, you could easily get into trouble.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio