DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   RODE VideoMic & FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/50087-rode-videomic-fx1.html)

Chad Solo August 26th, 2005 08:03 PM

RODE VideoMic & FX1

I'm thinking on getting this mic (RODE VideoMic)since it's affordable and have good reviews. I'm just using it for shooting my kids and my nephews band. I'm just wondering if it will work with the Sony FX1? Thank's for the help.

Patrick Swinnea August 27th, 2005 08:05 AM

I don't have the Videomic but I do have an FX1. It should work great, and the 1/8" connector means you won't have to go through any adaptors.

Chad Solo August 27th, 2005 01:52 PM

Thank's for the reply I really appreciate it.

Chad

Stu Holmes August 27th, 2005 02:23 PM

I have a Rode Videomic and use it on my Sony 3CCD camera.
- it's a great mic, very sensitive, nice integral shock-mount, powered by PP3 9V battery (up to 100hours!) and you can get a wind-shield for it too from Rode (the Rode DeadCat).

As the Rode is so sensitive, you really will NEED a windshield or else your recordings will have quite a bit of windnoise on them. Unless you've got a fluffy windshield, almost any wind above about 5mph will produce low-frequency wind-noise. Rycote also produce a range of windshields too.

As far as sound quality the Videomic has "beaten" in some tests some Sennheiser mics costing 2 or 3 times as much. It's fairly directional sound too. If i want to do a voice-over whilst i'm recording (travel recording mainly) then i just reverse the mic on the camera mount so it's pointed at me, rather than at the landscape (or whatever) i'm filming. Perfect for occasional voice-overs of your travel footage!

Laurence Kingston August 27th, 2005 04:21 PM

Does anyone know if the Rode Videomic gets in the way of folding the FX-1 screen in and out?

By the way, the Rode Videomic sounds way better to my ears than my Sennheiser ME66. A friend and I did a three way test of a 415, the ME66 and the Rode VideoMic. We both liked the 415 the most, the VideoMic came in a closer second than we would have guessed, and the ME66 trailed way behind as a distant third. It was absolutely not the results we were expecting.

Chad Solo August 27th, 2005 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=Laurence Kingston]Does anyone know if the Rode Videomic gets in the way of folding the FX-1 screen in and out?

I didn't think about that. So I did some research and it looks very close. I do think that you can change the shoe around on the metal plate on the bottom and if thats the case it will work. I just ordered one from this merchant on ebay for 120.00 so I can't go wrong with this mic for that price. When I get it I will post back and give my own opinion on it with the FX1.

Evan C. King August 27th, 2005 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
Does anyone know if the Rode Videomic gets in the way of folding the FX-1 screen in and out?

By the way, the Rode Videomic sounds way better to my ears than my Sennheiser ME66. A friend and I did a three way test of a 415, the ME66 and the Rode VideoMic. We both liked the 415 the most, the VideoMic came in a closer second than we would have guessed, and the ME66 trailed way behind as a distant third. It was absolutely not the results we were expecting.

Really? Better than the ME66? If that's true you just ssaved me a ton of money! How do you think it would do for booming work?

Marco Leavitt August 27th, 2005 06:50 PM

Laurence,
Did you do those test indoors or outdoors? It's well known that the ME66 does not do well with interiors. It's not designed to. Unless the Rode outperforms the ME66 and ME67 outdoors and the ME64 and the ME65 indoors (on a boom, in all instances), then it's impossible to say that the VideoMic is better than the whole K6 system. It does appear to be a great on-camera mic though, judging by all the reactions people have. I would be curious to know whether the Rode sounds better than the ME64 on-camera, which is what I've been using. What's a 415 by the way? Do you mean 416? (Sorry, not trying to be snotty. I've just never heard of a 415.)

Marco Leavitt August 27th, 2005 07:17 PM

Ah, just did a google search and Sennheiser did have an MKH 415 dating back to the '70s.

Laurence Kingston August 27th, 2005 09:49 PM

Well the Videomic has that high impedance 1/8" connector, so you can use a headphone extension cord. It also works well screwed on to the end of a cheap monopod from Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1069300859536

I like this particular monopod because it's got a ball joint that lets you aim the microphone.

I don't know if I'd run much more than 20 feet with a high impedance setup like this (I use a ten foot headphone extension). It's a dirt cheap setup, and for the type of talking head interview I do it's more than adequate.

I have a ME66 and a Studio1 box (like a Beachtek except that it mounts on your belt) and this budget setup actually sounds better to my ears at least!

Laurence Kingston August 29th, 2005 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
Ah, just did a google search and Sennheiser did have an MKH 415 dating back to the '70s.

Yeah the 415 is a predecessor to the excellent 416. It sounds like a 416, but was cheaper off eBay. My one complaint with it was that it is t-powered and seems to require quite a bit of power. When powered by a Sound Devices style Shure mixer, it required much fresher batteries than phantom powering my ME66. I'm not sure if this was because of the t-power to phantom adapter or if this vintage of microphone just requires more power. Boy does it sound good though!

Chad Solo August 30th, 2005 08:20 PM

[QUOTE=Laurence Kingston]Does anyone know if the Rode Videomic gets in the way of folding the FX-1 screen in and out?

I finally found a picture with the Rode and the FX1 and it looks like it clears the LCD.

Chet

Laurence Kingston August 30th, 2005 09:13 PM

You know, the four little nubs that keep the Videomic pointed straight ahead on the shoe mount broke off on mine. I called up Rode's tech support and they said they would send me the part at no charge. While we were talking I mentioned how much I would like to see a stereo version and a built-in 10db pad so that it would work with Sony cameras with AGC. He told me that a stereo VideoMic was in the works. He said they get lots of requests for a switchable pad, but he doesn't know if that will be added. In any case, a stereo VideoMic on an FX-1 would sure be sweet!

Chad Solo August 31st, 2005 01:29 PM

That always happens after I order something. After reading around in forums the feeling I got that it did not make much of a difference if it was stereo or Mono. Being that what is being recorded is in front of the mic and that track gets laid down on both tracks. AT first I didn't want to buy it because it was Mono but after reading I decided to buy it. I guess I can use it for awhile and sell it and get the stereo one. Thank's for the info

Chet

Stu Holmes August 31st, 2005 02:18 PM

I have a Videomic and the only thing that is a bit annoying is that when putting on (& taking off) a windshield it is possible for the little black rubber bands that hold the mic onto the shockmount to Pling off without you noticing. I had this happen once and have to use a doubled-over normal rubber band instead. To stop it happening again, i simply applied a bit of glue to the 4 plastic posts so that the bands can't fly off anywhere.

Would be good if Rode supplied 2 or 3 spare rubber bands with the mic in case this happens.