I hate my M-Audio BX8a speakers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 27th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #1
Major Player

I hate my M-Audio BX8a speakers

I just got them hooked up, and listened to the sound on my latest video project. I suck. Wind noise, speech defects, background noise, voice timber problems, lav placement problems. I have to step up my game when shooting in some situations. I was a lot happier being ignorant.

Now the question is: How anal do I have to be about making the audio perfect for my setup, since no one will be watching (listening) on a comparable quality system?
Old August 27th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If it sounds bad on a good system, it will sound worse on a lesser one. The problems will probably be magnified.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa
I just got them hooked up, and listened to the sound on my latest video project. I suck. Wind noise, speech defects, background noise, voice timber problems, lav placement problems. I have to step up my game when shooting in some situations. I was a lot happier being ignorant.

Now the question is: How anal do I have to be about making the audio perfect for my setup, since no one will be watching (listening) on a comparable quality system?

I guess you can look at two ways.

One, you know that most will not hear the bad stuff because of their inferior speakers.

Two, gives you the oportunity to hear all that is there, good and bad, and the chance to correct some of it in post, and to set-up better in the future.

Look on the bright side. You could be like me, hearing loss and tinitus. I don't stand much of a chance with audio to begin with.

Hey, just enjoy the speakers!

Mike
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hmmm, not sure about that.

I am truely an audio novice. I too set up a nice audio system to try to improve. I too am astounded by the defects this audio set up revealed to me. I too am humbled by the power of audio.

That said, if I make it as good as I can on that good system, I have found that many of the defects note in the previous post simply aren't as noticeable on the average TV in the average viewing environment. Don't get me wrong, bad sound is bad sound but I think the good setup reveals things that are masked on cheaper systems.

Just what I have noticed so far. Sure makes me work harder on my audio though.......

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

This is a funny post! And so true!

I know some some audio engineers will have a pair of cheapo speakers next to their studio monitors to hear what it will sound like to *most* people.
Patrick Swinnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I can't help but remember, back in the mid 80's I worked for a household name company whose in-house motto was "'Good enough' never is!" After a while their adherence to this motto declined. So did the company.
Steve House is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio