Narrative Film Audio Workflow? FCP, SB, PT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 29th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Narrative Film Audio Workflow? FCP, SB, PT

Hi all,

I tend to do dual system sound for my narrative films. My workflow to this point as been something that's perhaps a little convoluted (sync in FCP, cut the film, export tracks that need noise reduction, import into Soundbooth, fix them, then send them back to FCP). I know that there's a better way to do this, I'm just curious as to what it is.

Ideally I would like to cut the film together in FCP. Send all the video to AE, and all the audio to a second program (pro tools? Does PT have NR?) and then combine the two for the final.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Narrative Film Audio Workflow? FCP, SB, PT

Most Noise Reduction (and many other) plug-ins can be purchased separately, and will work within your preferred DAW. (Nuendu, SloTools, Sonar, Vegas, other ) However, NR software should not be expected to work miracles and 'fix' something that was poorly recorded in the first place. The term: 'polishing a turd' comes to mind.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
However, NR software should not be expected to work miracles and 'fix' something that was poorly recorded in the first place. The term: 'polishing a turd' comes to mind.
Right. I guess I want a workflow that's similar to my video workflow (cut it together, then finish it in AE). I want to do the same with my sound. Levels, Brightening, NR, etc. etc. I used NR as an example because I like SB's version, but found the workflow tedious.
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Without having to go though exporting/importing via OMF, AAF ect,. to your DAW , Out of all the NLEs, Sony's Vegas Pro has by far the most comprehensive set of audio tools. It comes with 35 audio plug-ins including a restoration process. Though I don't think its 'Noise Reduction-2.0' that comes bungled with Sound Forge Pro.
FWIW, Vegas Pro 11 is due to be released any day now.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Trustee

Here's a cool thing to consider with FCP and PT....most plugins work in both apps.
I have waves and t-racks plugins that I use all the time in pro tools. I was doing the round trip workflow because I'm very fast in pro tools so I never bothered to look at FCP's audio tools. A few years ago, I took my license dongle to a studio and accidentally left it there. Realized what happened when FCP wouldn't open since the plugins weren't authorized! Got the key back and woilla! FCP opened right up and there's all my plugins. only time I send to pro tools is if there's edits that require more resolution than 30fps. All the leveling, eq and other effects I do right in fcp!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio