Rode VideoMic Pro: Quick fix for the flimsy rubber/cradle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 30th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rode VideoMic Pro: Quick fix for the flimsy rubber/cradle

Hey guys,
thought I should share this, it screwed up one of my shoots.
Rode dudes, if you read this, fire the guy who designed the videomic pro and the one who approved it to go into production!
Here is a quick fix to prevent the rubber thingies to come off the corners
Rode VideoMic Pro: Flimsyness Quick fix: Part one Mike Kobal
cheers,
Mike
Mike Kobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Rode VideoMic Pro: Quick fix for the flimsy rubber/cradle

Quote:
the flimsy cable (no solution yet, working on it)...
My understanding was that it is actually a high tech high performance cable. I am not aware of reports of large numbers of cable failures. Just being thin does not necessarily make it flimsy.

Quote:
and the rubber suspended cradle design.
There have been two main suggestions made already here in dvinfo for those who are worried about the suspension:

1 Use some superglue to hold the bands on
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ml#post1607462

2 Replace the supplied mount with a Rycote lyre
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ml#post1632909
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ml#post1665793
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

[Colins quote] My understanding was that it is actually a high tech high performance cable. I am not aware of reports of large numbers of cable failures. Just being thin does not necessarily make it flimsy [Unquote]

You've got it Col. Because Rode knew this thin mic cable was extremely important to the success of the VMP, they went to great lengths to make sure it would work to their satisfaction.

Apart from the necessary sound quality, with a thin cable one of the tests is 'bending, twisting and straining' many many times more than in normal use. The outer cable coverings play a huge part of course.

As a result the first thousand VideomicPros have external mic cable manufactured by Mogami, while Rode worked on theirs.

If you want to look it up, as a major cable manufacturer Mogami actually publish the results of their bend/twist/strain tests.

Rodes quality small brass 3.5mm connector is another feature, there are quite a few brass compositions available and the cheaper ones will corrode faster, just like the brass plate on the front of a building.

You'd know this .. before you insert any brass connector into a recorder, give it a twist/wipe to remove any dust and about twice a year, give it a wipe once over with a tiny spot of Brasso to remove the start of any corrosion.

Cheers.
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Major Player

I am going to try one of the solutions because while I absolutely love my old Rode Videomic I have been reluctant to use my newer Videomic Pro because those rubber isolation bands pop off if you say "boo". Very poor design and my first disappointment with something made by Rode.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio