Different mixers producing different outputs? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 6th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Different mixers producing different outputs?

I know this topic is a bit old, but I thought I'd post the name of the other mixer that I was talking about. I finally found it. It was the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325630-REG/Sound_Devices_722_722_2_Channel_High_Resolution_Portable.html
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #17
Major Player

Brian, what you are experiencing is the automotive equivalent of driving a Ferrari then comparing it to a ford Festiva, nothing you can do will give you the same performance.

it sounds like what you are hearing as the difference is the quality of the mic preamp,the Sound Devices can raise its gain much higher before you notice the hiss than the Azden or Zoom can. and the blimp should have very little to do except to reject wind from causing plosive, buffeting sounds directly on the microphone, and theoretically be sonically transparent.

some times it takes an experience like this to make you realize why some stuff cost much much more.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #18
Major Player

I'm learning that one of the biggest variants is the quality of the headphone output. Sound Devices $5k units surely have better headphone outputs than the azden or zoom, although the headphone out on my SD mixpre is remarkably bad.

Every now and then I have that experience the original poster describes, of feeling like the microphone is getting just what I want without distortion. And then I have the times when it seems like all I can record is distortion even though my levels are fine. More often than not, it ends up being about the source, what I'm recording, rather than the equipment. Good actors and musicians in a good room just sound better, and it's easy to think it's the equipment when it's actually the signal.

So yes a good mixer can improve the sound, but not in that sort of "night and day" way that you are probably imagining.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #19
Inner Circle

although the headphone out on my SD mixpre is remarkably bad.
I don't have a MixPre. But this is the first time I recall a complaint about the headphone amp on a SD product. Unless SD changed something or it's ailing? I assume you use 'the usual suspect' headphones?
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #20
Major Player

My SD mixpre was purchased used, so I don't discount the possibility of the headphone amp being out of spec, but lots of good equipment have bad headphone amps.

As to the original poster, I recently came across this page with sound samples from different recorders:

Portable Recorder Noise: The Sounds of Silence

Today's 24 bit recorders are more limited by the analog circuitry than anything else, so this is likely to also give a good idea of how much variation to expect from different mixers. To my ear, not dramatic at all, but audible under some circumstances.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio