Which shockmount to get at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 29th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #1
New Boot

Which shockmount to get

Does anyone happen to if certain shockmounts only work with certain shotgun mics/boom poles? I was planning on getting an AT 897 and using this: http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/pole.html to make my own boom pole. What shockmount should I get?
Alex Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Well, the shock mount that Neil shows looks like the Beyerdynamic. It is relatively inexpensive but doesn't work well in an accessory shoe. It should be ok mounted on a pole.

If you want an upscale mount, you might be interested in (click)the K-TEK SM. I have the K-tek K-CAMSSM which mounts in the accessory shoe and it is a fine mount. (I also have the Beyerdynamic BTW).
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bruce
Does anyone happen to if certain shockmounts only work with certain shotgun mics/boom poles? I was planning on getting an AT 897 and using this: http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/pole.html to make my own boom pole. What shockmount should I get?
The mount in the picture does not appear to be an anti-shock mount, more like a solid mount to me.

All the mic mounts will go by the diameter of the mic. Just check the mic diameter and tell the person you are getting the mount from what size your mic is. They are simular diameters, my Sennhieser is .875, Azden .825.

Good luck
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:

Alex,

I would suggest the rubber band shockmount from AT. It's the cheapest of the two they make and made for the AT 897. And perhaps a K-TEK boom with internal cable. That's what I use....

If your link is for real I think Neil shot himself in the foot or other appendage.... I can't believe he can brag about how he made a boom pole for under $50 and then ask you to pay $350 for it!!! Obviously a very large ego but a not so refined intellect is involved in this equation.

I'm back from brain sprain.... Thankfully, the AT shock mount that I purchased came with an adapter which converted the K-TEK's diameter attatchment to the AT mount diameter.

You will most likely be able able to find a similiar adapter for use with your home made boom and whatever shockmount you chose.

Good Luck,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #5
Trustee

I agree, the AT8415 is a good mount at a good price. It's also available with premium replacement bands, which are more convenient than the stock bands. See B&H for examples.
The stock bands require criss-crossing both the front and back horizontal bands to get enough tension for a shotgun. The premium bands don't require this and give better isolation.
The 8415 yoke comes with the standard 3/8-16 threaded hole which fits most boom poles. The AT adapter that comes already installed with the mount converts to 5/8-27, which is for standard US mic stands. The adapter can sometimes be installed so tightly from the factory that it appears permanent to the mount, but it's removeable.
Stephanie, do you have the 8415 or the 8410a?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The Shockmount in the picture is a Beyerdynamic Ea86,
I use one one the hotshoe of my Canon XL1i and it works perfectly.
It comes with 4 extra rubber bands, I don't know how long they last before they perish.
Very inexpensive also, about £17. ( $30 )
David Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #7
New Boot

If I decided to get that 8145 would I have to find a "light bulb changer" that could fit into the end of it, or is there someway to screw it in or something? And that Beyerdynamic looks like it's would be for on camera use, I don't see where he could attatch it with to the pole. And that thing he said about selling his for 350 was meant to be satirical ;).
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
If I decided to get that 8145 would I have to find a "light bulb changer" that could fit into the end of it, or is there someway to screw it in or something? And that Beyerdynamic looks like it's would be for on camera use, I don't see where he could attatch it with to the pole. And that thing he said about selling his for 350 was meant to be satirical ;).
Alex,

If you just want something cheap, go to Home Depot and get the light bulb changing kit. It goes from about 39" to 11' when you extend it. It is light weight aluminum, and four sections, weights less than two pounds. It come with many attachments, including a large rubber suction cup. Wrap the suction cup around the mic and use a couple of rubber bands to hold in place on each end. I did it and it works just fine.

Total cost $19.95 plus tax!

Mike
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #9
Trustee

Of course, I'd highly recommend getting a real pole. There are advantages and low-end Gitzo's aren't very expensive. K-Tek, especially the Aluminum Avalon series are a very good value for the high quality of the pole. An internally wired one is also super convenient and will save you lots of time.

I have seen nicely made adapters to go from "painter-pole" threads to the standard 3/8"-16 thread of a boom pole and shockmount. However they were expensive. You can make your own adapter if you're already making a boom pole or you can modify a painter pole's threads.
You can make an adapter by combining a cut-down handle from something that would go on a painter pole with a 3/8"-16 bolt, threaded stud, or mic stand adapter.
You can modify the painter pole itself by trimming the threads down to 5/8" mic stand size and forcing on a mic stand adapter. This is usually a little stronger than adding a 3/8"-16 threaded stud to the end of the plastic.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Alex,

If you just want something cheap, go to Home Depot and get the light bulb changing kit. It goes from about 39" to 11' when you extend it. It is light weight aluminum, and four sections, weights less than two pounds. It come with many attachments, including a large rubber suction cup. Wrap the suction cup around the mic and use a couple of rubber bands to hold in place on each end. I did it and it works just fine.

Total cost $19.95 plus tax!

Mike
Could you post a pic or something to show what you mean?
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:

Give me a minute, I was packing everything up for a trip. But, For you, I'll do it--------Stand by!

Mike
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Ok, more than a minute! Posted them to the wrong area of the site first. Plus the time to set up the mic and take pictures.

These are with my Azden with wireless addition. Hope this give you the idea, and by the way the suction cup is soft plastic and probably a better shock mount than most. Like I said, light weight and sturdy---Keep away from electrical wires!

http://treasurecoastvideo.com/images/P1010074.JPG
http://treasurecoastvideo.com/images/P1010075.JPG
http://treasurecoastvideo.com/images/P1010076.JPG

Can I finish packing now? Good luck!

Mike
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #13
Major Player

A really easy route is to take a monopod and screw the Beyerdynamic or another shock mount that takes 1/4" and 3/8" threads onto it. The Beyerdynamic has both. You won't have 11 feet but 5 feet or so can work in many situations. A photo is here: (click)http://www.fortvir.net/gallery/album06/DSCF0044

The mic is an Audio-Technica AT897. The monopod is a Sunpak Platinum Plus (cheap). The Beyerdynamic theads onto the 1/4" bolt on the Sunpak.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio