Azden 325 system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 5th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Trustee

Azden 325 system

I know this may be a little low end for this forum but I do weddings and I got a 325upr system when the government hanged their standards for wireless. I used to have the higher end 1000 system because I had a full shoulder mount camera. Up to this point I have had nothing but good things to say about Azden. I dont know if I got a bad one but this 325 is a P.O.S. I am BARELY getting 75 feet line of site. I have sent it 3 time in the past year the first time if they did anything it was to clean the output connector. then the last time it actually sounded like they did something. They replaced the output connector and tweeked the body packs anntena. Its a little better but today I had a groom standing 15 feet from me on the other side of a glass door and I started getting dropouts. Anyone else have this system? Am I asking too much from it? I have sent Azden a number of Youtube videos showing the problems feel like I had to twist their arm to even watch them.

Thanks
Randy
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

re: Azden 325 system

If you're using a wireless rig to make money by recording weddings without any problems like this, you need to be using a Sennheiser or similar grade.

IMHO you'll continue having strife till you do.

Cheers.
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Yep the 325 system is way down on Azden quality!!! My sucks too..my 100LT system is WAY better I get dropouts on the 325 consistently sometimes even when the groom is only 20' away!!!

Maybe there is a trick to using this model????

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Randy and Allan

I have the 330 system as well as the 100ULT and despite being cheaper I have to end up using the older unit for groom audio cos the newer dual channel system keeps getting dropouts!! Now I have ascertained that it's not the transmitter because I can use the 10ULT body pack with both systems as it works great with it's own receiver but has dropouts with the 330 dual pack.

The audio quality is great!! It's just that now and again we get dropouts from the receiver....maybe someone else has also experienced the same and has a solution??? Anyone done any mods??? maybe antenna mods??????

Tossing out your system and replacing it is a little drastic if a fix is available!!

Chris
Old November 6th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Chris I have been doing this for like 25 years I have had Samson DJ systems that I had to strap onto my battery belt ive had samson on camera systems plus the Anton/bauer Azden system and I have never had such a lack of confidence in a system. Its fine at the reception for interviews but at the ceremony where I am demanding any kind of range its sketchy at best. heres a video I sent them.
azden.avi - YouTube
frank - YouTube
and boy you should hear the one from this past saturday!

every time I call them they say "just send it in" they dont realize that I do 1. cost me money to chip 2. every time I test I put someones wedding at risk 3. it takes me out of my game because now I need to under mind what I do to compensate for a crappy wireless. I dont know what to do its not like I can get my money back now I bought this thing because of the FCC changes here in the states but im going back to my "illegal but working" wireless system.
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Chris,
Do you think its possible that we both got lemons? If I call Azden after all this I suppose they will offer me a replacement system. I dont know if its worth taking.
Old November 6th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

It's weird cos my 100ULT is awesome.. I was at a park once and the groom's mic was on and I had left the receiver on and was up the hill about 300' away at least and the audio was clear and no dropouts!!

Now, using the 10BT transmitter with the 330ULT dual receiver STILL gives me issues so I think it's the receiver that's the problem!!! My 100ULT antennas are 90mm long and the 330 antennas are only 65mm long...receivers SHOULD have antennas that are 1/4 of the wavelength and they achieve this in the transmitter by having a short stubby antenna but it has coiled wire to make up the correct length...the 330 receiver however just has short rods. I might try increasing my receiver antennas length and I'll let you know what happens. Either that are the receivers are just not sensitive enough!!!

The other alternative is eBay!!!!! I doubt whether a replacement will help... I think they have a design fault...my 100ULT uses the same frequencies and not one single dropout!!!

Is yours a single or dual receiver??????

I'll keep you posted later

Chris
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Right !!

I did a few tests using both of my systems (they are in the same frequency range so I set both to the same so I could swap and change both transmitters and receivers!! I set the receiver up in my home office and then walking around the house making life as difficult as I could for both transmitters (in my pocket and also put in inside an oven mitt so it was attenuated) With the 100ULT receiver both the 10BT and 35BT transmitters work well ...I went out to about 100' which is out the house, down the driveway and to our mailbox so there was trees, exterior walls, motor vehicles and the house walls all in the way of the signal.
I had no drop outs from either transmitter at any stage. Now with the 330ULT Dual Channel...it worked fine with both transmitters up to 100' BUT at one area on the patio I had a drop out and the signal "bars" on the receiver also dropped down from a steady 4 bars right down to just one bar!!! It was just one area. The 100ULT signal was strong everywhere. Having found a "dead spot" I then cable tied two strips of metal to the annennas of the 330 and the signal was way better..it dropped to 3 bars only visually but there was no audible drop out at all.
The weak link is definately the receiver here. The anntenas get the correct "wavelength" with a coil around the antenna stem so I'm going to make up some new solid antennas the same length as the 100ULT and I bet there will be a BIG improvement. MY antennas can swivel and the actual length is 2" so I will remove those and drop in a 3,5" rod in their place.

If it works I'll let you know!!!

Chris
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Major Player

Before you go changing antennae, look up how length of antenna depends on frequency you are using. just having bigger antennae because its longer may actually hurt the reception if its not a proper divisible of operating frequency.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #10
Trustee

Which one is the 100ULT? Maybe I can just get Azden to trade me one of those for my 325.
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #11
Trustee

o.k. Chris I just got off the phone with Azden...Again and they are sending me a 310 reciever. Apparently the 325/330 is NOT a true diversity system which MAY be the cause of our grief. I will let you know how my system goes. I have to say I am a little put off I had a old 1000urx reciever in for service and the bill was $60 after all my grief and now taking a bit of a downgrade like $100 worth. I thought they would wave the service charge.
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Great let me know if it's better!! Seriously if you can find a 100ULT receiver they are excellent!!! I suspect they are no made anymore by Azden by eBay should have a few around!!

Thanks Gerry...I have built transmitters before and know about antenna loading ...Randy is getting a replacement unit ...all I'm doing is replacing the stubby antenna with a solid one so the extra length of antenna rod simply replaces the coil on the stubby antenna...the effective length will still be close enough to 1/4th the wavelength so the output will be loaded correctly!!!

Unfortunately it's just a poor receiver design compared to the older models ..however the specs seem much the same.

Chris
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Trustee

I could be the new frequencys mixed with the fact that its not a diversity? I dont know we'll see.
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hey Randy

I think you are right!! My 100ULT specs say "Antenna Diversity" but the newer 330ULT doesn't say that!!!

I'm running from 794mhz thru to 805mhz on both systems .... !!!

The 100ULT look cheaper and don't have an LCD display and use 9v batteries but they work pretty darn well.... If I can find another 100ULT receiver I might just stay with them and toss the fancy 330 on eBay!!!

Something else I did notice to is that the older system is a lot more powerful with the same mics..on the 35BT system I have to turn to gain almost to 3/4 but on the 10BT transmitter it's down near 1/4!!!

Keep in touch and tell me if the replacement works oK?????

Chris
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #15
Trustee

Chris,
IF I have good luck id be willing to bet if you make a big enough stink Azden will let you trade your 330 in for a 310 also. I mean it is a technicllly a downgrade but if you dont need the dual recievers it would be worth your while.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio