DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Good indoor/outdoor mic for interviews (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/502427-good-indoor-outdoor-mic-interviews.html)

Syeed Ali November 7th, 2011 11:58 AM

Good indoor/outdoor mic for interviews

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good microphone for interviews.

It will be positioned above the interviewee (out of shot) and used in both outdoor and indoor environments.

I've already got an NGT2 & NGT3.

Taky Cheung November 7th, 2011 12:22 PM

Re: Good indoor/outdoor mic for interviews

Have you considered using lav mic on the person to a voice recorder? Otherwise, I have seen people using RODE VideoMic on a boom pole.

Syeed Ali November 7th, 2011 12:37 PM

Hi Taky,

I've got a pair of Sennheiser lavs, but I'm looking for a better quality sound. Plus I don't want the mic to be visible.

Taky Cheung November 7th, 2011 12:40 PM

The way the PinMic design is so clever. The only visual thing would be a tiny mic cap which is always not noticeable. It cap through a 3 pin mic inside the shirt. All the wiring will be under the shirt. Very cool.

You can check out my page. I have some videos created Chad Johnson (with this authorization to use his videos in my site).

RODE PinMic Miniature Omnidirectional Microphone | L.A. Color Online

We are RODE authorized reseller. I can offer a discount to DVInfo member.

Gerry Gallegos November 7th, 2011 01:01 PM

you don't need a new microphone , you need a boom and a boom operator. both of your microphones are very capable of doing what you are asking. perhaps adding a Hypercardioid to your kit, like an Audio technica AT4053 or a Oktava MIK012, and some wind protection for your rodes when outdoors.

Steve House November 7th, 2011 01:34 PM

For a one size fits all mic for inddor and outdoor booming, consider the Sanken CS3. It looks like a shotgun, has the directivity of a shotgun, but isn't really a 'gun at all so it's much better behaved indoors.

Garrett Low November 7th, 2011 06:31 PM

+1 for the Sanken CS-3e. As Steve said, it has the pattern of a shotgun but doesn't act like one when it comes to reflective sounds. It's the only "shotgun" I've used that can do duel duty.

But, since you already have an NTG-3 (assuming that you have a Rode NTG-3) I agree with Gerry and would recommend get a cardioid or hypercardioid for your indoor shoots, use your NTG-3 for your outdoor shoots, and also invest in a good boom stand, isolation mount, and wind protection.

-Garrett

Battle Vaughan November 7th, 2011 07:08 PM

You might like the Sennheiser ME64/K6 cardioid/power supply combo. I have used it indoors and outdoors on a short (3 ft) boom held just out of the frame for one-man-band news interviews both indoors and outdoors with good results. If you have your camera on sticks it's not too hard to hold the mike on a short boom and do a head-and-shoulders standup with this rig, it's pretty sensitive and with a good wind muff it works a treat.

Jon Fairhurst November 7th, 2011 07:41 PM

If the mic will be on a fixed boom, you can use a cardioid like a Rode NT-1A on the cheap. It's too heavy to hold on a boom, but weight doesn't matter on a stand.

For a hypercardioid that is light enough to be hand (boom) held, you're looking at the AT4053b or the AKG Blue Line CK93 combo for around $500 as the price of entry. Yeah, there's the Oktava, but the examples I've heard have sounded extremely thin to my ears. They are said to vary, so maybe I heard bad copies. I also don't want to risk buying a bad copy.

The CS-3e is freakin' amazing, but not cheap.

If you can deaden the room (not a bad idea in any case), the NTG-3 can be used indoors. In fact, having C-stands and moving blankets are often a better investment than a better mic. You can use it to control light from windows as well as unwanted audio reflections.

Syeed Ali November 8th, 2011 12:56 PM

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to take the advice and stick with the mics I already have and instead get some extra equipment. A Rycote Blimp and a better mic stand.

Will also check out the other microphones mentioned.

Thanks again.