headphone cable for rewiring at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 8th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #1
Major Player

headphone cable for rewiring

I'm going to be rewiring some monitoring headphones, the Sony MDR V6 (7506) style with the 10 foot cables. I normally plug my headphones into something body-worn so I prefer cables much shorter.

Has anyone found good headphone cables for sale seperately? I'm wanting something about 6 feet long (when coils are stretched), with a right angle connector (both 1/8 and 1/4 versions would be useful).

I could buy instrument cables and cut off an end, but I'd prefer a read headphone cable with tinned leads so I don't have to strip the shellac insulation to solder them on.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: headphone cable for rewiring

Instrument cables are all TS (tip/sleeve) not TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) so aren't appropriate for stereo (or balanced...) Applications.
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Why don't you just cut the plug off, cut the cable shorter and install a new plug.

BTW, the Sony MDR V6 (7506) are very, very difficult to work on, so unless you have successfully worked on them before (28 gauge thread-like wires with lacquer insulation) or have lots of other experience with that type of work.. don't go there.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Yep, I worked on the sony headphones once and this thread is a result of my frustration with trying to remove the enamel from those 28 gauge wires and still have enough copper for a good connection. Using a brand new cable with pre-tinned ends should be much easier and reliable.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I hear ya Tom, They are a real pain to work on. I usually burn off the wires' coating with an open flame.
You can get a new cable from Sony which I assume would be pre-tinned, but it would have the same connector and the price is probably not worth it. You may consider contacting Trew Audio, as they do mods to that model and ask for they're suggestions. Let us know what you come up with.
That said, I have 7506 manual/parts list & diagram, w/ inner wiring photo, if you or anyone wants it.
I'll put it here for while, if anyone would like to download it.
http://www.4shared.com/document/7hSR9GGb/Sony-7506.html

Last edited by Rick Reineke; November 10th, 2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: link added
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Rick. I wish I had that diagram when attempting to work on them the first time.

I know there's no easy solution to removing the enamel from the leads, but I'm curious what you use to remove the charred enamel and/or soot left over after burning it off with an open flame?

I've heard that there used to be a product called Strip-X which chemically removes such, very well. But it's no longer being made/sold. If anyone has any leads on how to get some today I'd be interested.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio